Monday, May 20, 2024

 The Bungee Cord 5-20-24

Hello,
I don’t know much about the group R.E.M., but recently I heard one of their songs, “Everybody Hurts”, sung by a priest on Britain’s Got Talent. Dressed in his clerical collar, Father Ray Kelly sang a rendition of the song that left the judges speechless, and the audience so stunned you could hear a pin drop. Some of the song’s lyrics:
“Everybody hurts
Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts
Don't throw your hand, oh no
Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone
No, no, no, you are not alone
If you're on your own in this life
The days and nights are long
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on
Well, everybody hurts sometimes
Everybody cries
Everybody hurts sometimes
And everybody hurts sometimes
So hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on
Everybody hurts”
Maybe you have heard and know this song. As Bungee Cord readers may know, I have lived with depression for the last twenty years. Depression is a menacing predator. Thankfully, through the care of many people and the wonder of medicine, I have most often been able to live with hope, peace and even joy. But there have been times when the depression hits hard and the goodness of life is hard to see or feel, even though it is right in front of my eyes. One of the most important soldiers in the battle against this darkness is a person who cares enough to listen to the swirling irrationality going round and round in my mind. When they have acknowledged my hurt and allowed my tears, it has helped me to hold on. I have been blessed to have brigades of such soldiers. As the R.E.M. songs says, I have taken “comfort in my friends”.
None the less, the onslaught of depression doesn’t wane even when one is holding on. It almost seems like the depression sees its target wrapping their hands around the comfort of others and sees an opportunity to strike with a crushing blow. And the one who is holding on can feel their grip loosening and their fingers alit with burning fire. When that happens, “hold on” seems like an impossible command to obey.
I have found that amid the “comfort in my friends” who fill my ears with encouragement to “hold on” , an encouragement that I covet, there comes to me a friend who encourages me differently. “I’ve got you!” Jesus is that friend. When Jesus had his arms stretched out on the cross, those arms opened wide to gather me in. When Jesus stepped out of the grave, he took ahold of my hand and said, “Follow me.” When the waters of Baptism christened my life, Jesus said, “You are mine.” When I kneel at the Lord’s table and dine, Jesus unites himself with me with a hug from the inside and says, “I won’t let you go.” And when I have tumbled into depression’s black hole, I see a light of grace coming towards me and with a grip that is stronger than anything in all creation, even death, and I hear the words of greatest comfort, “I’ve got you!”
“I’ve got you!” If you are ever holding on for dear life and the holding is becoming unattainable, hear Jesus’ ever faithful word to you, “I’ve got you!” And cradled in Jesus’ grip you can breathe in and catch your breath, you can let your wearied muscles gather renewed strength, you can look around and see a path of hope opening up, you can feel courage pulse from your heart giving you power to step into life.
Every day I am thankful for the friends whose words have helped me hold on. I am thankful for scientists and doctors and therapists whose medicine and advice I gladly take. Most of all, I am eternally thankful for the unique voice of a divine friend who has ahold of me and won’t let go, “I’ve got you!”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'EVFRYBODY HURTS E.M. M'
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment