Monday, July 8, 2024

 The Bungee Cord. 7-8-24

Hello,
I have never bought fireworks before in my life. I grew up in a firework-less house, partly because some high school kids who lived right behind me blew off a bunch of their fingers as they were shooting off rockets that were propelled by a bundle of match heads. The stains of the streams of blood running down the street were enough to convince me that my parent’s prohibition of fireworks made a little sense.
But this past week, I stepped across that lifelong line and bought some fireworks, just six sparklers. My son and his family were coming to visit, and my wife wanted to have some sparklers to light for the fourth of July.
When I arrived at the Phantom Fireworks store in Greensburg on the third of July, I could not find a parking spot. I had to drive around several times before one opened up. I walked through the front sliding doors (it used to be a Toys R Us store) and got backed up behind some people who were emptying things out of their pockets. What they were emptying, I don’t know. I dodged around them and gazed into the huge store, but before I could enter the shopping area, I was greeted with, “Sir, would you please come over here?” I followed her invitation, and when I reached her counter she said, “May I see your ID?” Puzzled, I asked, “What are you needing me to do?” After all, I was only going to get six sparklers. She said, “You need to be registered.” So, I pulled out my wallet that has clear plastic in front of my driver’s license, and then she said, “Could you please remove it?” I took it out and she scanned the bar codes on the back side. She handed it back to me, and I was just about to venture into the shopping area when she said, “Sir, please wait a minute, I need you to sign a form saying you won’t hold us accountable if you incorrectly use the fireworks.” She gave me the form, and I signed it.
Form in hand, I went to the sparklers display area, and from the selection I took a package that contained six sparklers, and then I made my way to the check-out. There were eight check-out stations, and every one of them had at least two people with a grocery cart full of fireworks in line. I stepped into the first line I saw, and I found myself behind two people with full carts. The one in front was done and was moving ahead. The woman in front of me had two elementary age children in tow, and a newborn in a stroller. She emptied the contents of her cart onto the conveyer belt, and when everything had been checked in her total purchase was $464.00! I was amazed.
After she had repacked her cart and moved forward, I put my package of six sparklers on the conveyer belt, handed the cashier the form that I had been given to sign, and the cashier said to me, “That will be $4.99.”
I was amazed at all I had to go through to buy six sparklers for our fourth of July celebration, and I was amazed at what everyone else had to also do, and the expense they were willing to make for their celebration.
There is a celebration that is far more worthy than the birth of our country that goes on every Sunday morning. It is a celebration that you won’t have to show your ID, won’t have to sign a consent form, and you won’t even have to pay for. Actually, it is a celebration that you couldn’t pay for, no matter how much money you have. It is a celebration that all the grocery carts in the world full of fireworks could not match. It is a celebration of universal consequence for the whole universe. It is a celebration of a victory that dwarfs any national victory. It is the celebration of God’s explosion of grace out of an Easter tomb that knocked every barrier down that might separate anyone from God, that disintegrated every thing that might try and claim anyone and pull them away from God, and that turned death inside out forever.
I invite you to this unmatched celebration this Sunday and every Sunday. I am pretty sure that you’ll find a parking place. I quite certain that you will be greeted with love and welcome, and I am positive of this: it won’t cost you a thing….Jesus’ love is free!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of 2 people, fire and fireworks
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment