Tuesday, September 24, 2024

 The Bungee Cord. 9-24-24

Hello,
I just got home from attending a funeral at one of the churches that I have served. The sanctuary was packed as many people came to say “goodbye” to one who had been a dear friend and who had made a deep impact on their lives.
The time came for sharing some personal memories of the deceased, and the person who got up to speak began by saying, “I don’t want to be here.” The speaker then asked the congregation, who else doesn’t want to be here, and he invited those who felt likewise to raise their hands. A whole bunch of hands went up. Mine did not.
I didn’t raise my hand because I had mixed emotions about being there at that funeral. Although I did not know the one who had died as long as most of those who were attending, I was very thankful to have known her for the years that I was at that church. She was very supportive of the mission that we were trying to accomplish. She was always willing to take on new and important tasks. Her smile was contagious, and her faith was infectious. It is a sad day when one has to say “goodbye” to one who has excavated and brightened the pathway of life. So, in light of the cloak of sadness that was strewn over that church sanctuary by her death, I didn’t want to be there. I didn’t want to say “goodbye” yet.
On the other hand, the day will come for all of us that death will come and grab us by the throat and pull us into its darkness. “Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.” For all of us, there will be an empty chair at the dining room table. There will be a voice that will not be heard. There will be a hug that will not be felt. And what will the world say about these things?
Gone. You’ve had your chance to live, and you better have grabbed all the gusto while you had a chance. You better have filled you belly with gluttonous food and topped it off with drink-filled parties. After all, we have heard every day of our lives, “Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you die.” That is what the world says when death takes ahold of us.
But that is not what is said in the Church, the place where Jesus, who is the first fruits of the dead speaks with thunderous voice. Jesus, who was crucified and died (really died), by the power that created the universe and placed life in it, God, used all of the creative power in God’s hand and grabbed his Son from the grips of death and brought Jesus to life again. God stole Jesus from the grip of death, and as Jesus walked out of that Easter tomb Jesus stomped on death like a cockroach, squashing it to death. From that day, death became no more than a pesky mosquito bite to Jesus, the Son of God, and in turn to all of those who God would also name as God’s children. (John 3:16,17)
‘Death has been swallowed up in victory.’
55 ‘Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?’
56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 15)
That is what is said in Church. The world has nothing to say about death, other than “gone”. Inside the walls of the church, there is plenty that is said. We have a God who is so consumed with love that God has blessed you and me with life to live in God’s wonderous creation, but God is not satisfied to have us with him for just the years of our lives. God desires to be with us forever. As the Bible says, he has created a room in his mansion to be with God forever. The wonder of that is far beyond my imagination. Forever? Resurrection of the body? The gathering of all people from all time and place? It is an image that my small mind that is caught in time and space is unable to comprehend. But this, my mind can comprehend. God’s love for me is so great that he sent his Son to claim me, hold me, and love me in this life, I can surely trust that whatever lies ahead will be no less wonderful.
So, when death hits, as it did this day for the one whose funeral I attended, I can say with absolute certainty, “I am glad to be HERE! HERE in the church where I can rest in eternal victory, everlasting love, and grace that not even death can shatter.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of grass and text
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment