Monday, January 2, 2012

The Bungee Cord 1-2-12

Hello,
  After watching the New Year arrive, I set my sights on my bed in hopes of getting a swig of sleep before an early morning awakening to go and preach at a church that the Internet estimated to be about an hour away. The church had two services, 8:30 and 10:45, which meant that I needed to be on the road by 6:45.  It was still very dark when I hopped in my car after scrapping the ice from the windshield.  The patchy fog made the morning even seems earlier as the earth was joining me in shaking loose the fog.
   I climbed my way out of the valley in which I am living, and turned south on the major two-lane highway on my way to a church that I had never been to before.  Within a mile of turning south I heard a crunching noise underneath the tires of my car, and with a quick look to my right I saw the mini-van in the ditch that had left debris on the road from its accidental trip off the road.  With no other traffic around, I decided that I should check to see if there was any one in the mini-van.  So, I turned the car around, turned on my brights and crept slowly toward the mini-van that was resting up against a power line pole.  The front nose of the car was crunched in, the windshield was cracked, and the passenger window had crumbled.  I eyed the interior and saw no one there, but as I glanced around I saw a silhouette standing on the other side of the road in a driveway.  I drove up to the silhouette and discovered it was a teen-age boy making a call on his cell phone.  As he talked, I pulled into the driveway and I asked him if he had been the driver of the mini-van, to which he nodded as he spoke on the phone.  He didn’t look very disheveled, and so I asked him if he was alright, to which he nodded as he continued his conversation, saying, “Yes, mam,” several times.
   As I pulled out of the driveway and headed back on my way, it occurred to me, “What would have I done if he had been hurt?”  There was a church depending upon me still over an hour’s drive away?  Of course, I would have stopped, but I know that my mind would have been divided over concern for the boy and concern for congregation awaiting my leadership.  After all, I couldn’t be in two places at the same time.
   It got me to thinking, that this season of Christmas shows us that what we cannot do, God can, and does!  When God came across a humanity, which includes you and me, that had crashed and crumpled in the fog of life, he stopped everything that he was doing to attend to our wounds – fully, completely and undistracted – being born in a Bethlehem manger.  Nothing in the universe was more important to him and nothing ever will be.  His death on the cross shows that.
   And yet his full presence in the manger did not distract him from every speck of dust and ray of light in the universe that was counting on his attention.  When we look to the vastness of the universe and ask ourselves, “When I consider the universe, why would God care about me? (Psalm 8)”  The answer is that God can and does what you and I cannot.  Even the best human multi-tasker can only shift their focus from one thing to another.  And even with cell phones and computer skyping, we can only be in one place at one time.  Yet God is not so bound.   God has shown himself able to focus his complete attention on more than one thing at one time, and he has shown himself to be completely present in more than one place at a time.  We see this clearly in Jesus, where the infinite God took on finite flesh and bone.
   So, if you find yourself skidding off the road this week, banged up and bruised…fear not….God is not too busy to stop and set his complete attention on you…that is what this Christmas season is all about.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment