Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bungee Cord  8-21-12


Hello,
“I LOVE YOU”
Scrawled on the inside cover of a closed pizza box, a husband casually eating his pizza greets his wife who has just  conquered an arduous bike ride by flipping the box open and showing those three words.  “I LOVE YOU.”

It is a commercial that I have seen a couple of times over the past several weeks.  The commercial starts off with the husband encouraging his struggling wife at the beginning of the trek saying, “You alright?”  Moments later in the commercial, the husband has raced forward along the course in his car, and hoists another home made sign, “YOU’RE A MACHINE!”    One more stop of encouragement , and then the commercial end: the wife, crossing the finish line all by herself, spent by the journey, greeted by her husband’s sign, “I LOVE YOU.”

I have to admit that I feel a bit of guilt as this commercial for some un-rmemebered product plays in front of me.    The guilt that I feel comes from having a wife who is far more self-disciplined at keeping in shape than I, and is, like the wife in the commercial, always challenging herself with distance cycling.  She has pedaled her way across large sections of several states, around Lake Tahoe, and in a couple of weeks will be riding another single day 100 mile course in Gettysburg, Pa.  I, unlike the husband in the commercial have not nor will I be there at the start of the race to urge her on.  Nor have I or will I be there at checkpoints along the course cheering her along.  And neither have I nor will I be there at the end, eating Pizza ready to applaud her efforts with a sign saying, “I LOVE YOU.”  Therein lies my guilt.

I tell you of this commercial not to make this a viral confession, but rather to share with you the other feelings that register in my heart when I see it playing in front of me:  joy, gratitude, and wonder.  It may be a commercial for some product, but when I see it, I see it as a picture of the way God deals with me: intercepting me along the arduous journey of life, encouraging me , cheering me on, and in the end greeting me with the sign that has motivated him all along, “I LOVE YOU.”  In the waters of Baptism God showed his love for me at the beginning of the journey.  In many and various ways along the course of my life he has encouraged me and cheered me on, most prominently Sunday after Sunday when our paths collide at his table.  And although I haven’t gotten there yet, I won’t be surprised at the end of my journey to find God there, too, holding a sign that will be scrawled in God’s own handwriting, saying, “I LOVE YOU.”

Never once in the commercial does the husband’s encounter with his wife focus on techniques (“sit up straighter…use more of your left leg!”) or threats (“Do this right or there’s no pizza for you at the end.”).  And yet, if you ask a lot of people, they will tell you that they perceive Christianity to be focused on morals (how to ride a bike/be a Christian correctly) or a threat (“do this right or there’s no pizza/heaven for you at the end.”)  However, the Bible, as I see it,  depicts a Christ, and Christianity that is far more like the commercial and less like people’s perceptions of the Christian faith.

 Read it and see.  See that in Jesus’ world where people were preoccupied with technique, Jesus was preoccupied with forgiveness and encouragement.  In Jesus’ world that assured the wrath of God for wrong behavior (ex. healing on the Sabbath), Jesus got in trouble for responding in mercy and kindness.  Clearly, the Bible plays out a Christ and Christianity that cares about the struggle we face, encourages us on as we tire and fall, and in the end will welcome us, not with a Pizza box with words on it, but with outstretched arms and nail pierced hands that have the words written in blood, “I LOVE YOU,” upon them.

Joy!  Gratitude!  Wonder!

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace (ggap),
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment