Monday, December 31, 2012

Bungee Cord 12-31-12


Hello,
     We’ve had some snow up on the ridge.  How much?  I don’t know, but with the vigorous winds that swish through here, we have drifts that rise to our knees.  Since this is the first winter that we have lived on our hill-top, we are being taught our lessons of dealing with the snow by the harsh teacher of experience.
     The drive from the main road to our place is a little less than a half a mile….all up hill!  The drive begins with a gentle sloped straight-a-way and then with a sharp left turn the incline increases as it parallels the hillside.  The next section of the lane is short, but it is steep, connecting the lower parallel road to the higher one.  In a low flying plane, the lane looks a bit like a squared off backwards question mark.
     We have a tractor with a blade on it.  It is my wife’s favorite toy.  So, when you come by our house and see her on our tractor, know that it is not a sign of my laziness, but rather her childhood delights being lived out.  She’s been busy plowing with the tractor trying to keep up with the snow, and for the most part we’ve been able to traverse our lane.  Unfortunately, we were away for a couple of hours, and the show got ahead of her/us. 
     So, as I was driving up our lane and made the turn onto the short but steepest section, the tires of our Honda CRV started spinning and we wound up sliding into the ditch alongside the road.  In order not to make the situation worse, we gave up on our upward climb, and my wife climbed out of the car saying, “I’ll go get the tractor.”  About 10 minutes later, out from the trees where our house is located came the slowly plodding tractor with my wife at the wheel.  Her plan was to try and clear the snow down to the stone bed, hoping that the front wheels of our car would grab and we would be freed from the drift into which we had slid.  “It’s going to take a while,” she said, “if you want to go inside, I’ll come and get you when it is ready.” So, up the hill I walked and sat down in front of the fireplace that was crackling with burning wood.
     About 2 hours later, she knocked on the door and said she had gotten it ready.  I put my coat and boots back on and headed down to our snow-trapped car.  When we got there, I told her to gun the car so the back wheels would spin, and with the wheels spinning, I would push the back end of the car back on the road on which she had done her clearing.  For some reason, the wheels would not spin, and when they did spin and the car would move, they would immediately just stop.  We worked at it for a half hour, getting nowhere.  Our neighbors happened by on the snow mobiles and with the strength of two more people, we got it to move, but still not enough to get out of the ditch and up the hill. 
     My frustration and patience were melting so I decided that I should give it a try behind the wheel.  My efforts were no more productive.  After a couple of attempts, my wife said to me, “Your back wheels keep on locking up.”
     So, I glanced at the parking break…..and guess what….it was set.  Apparently I had set it when I left to go inside as the car rested on the incline.  I released the parking break by depressing it again, and with the ease of a bulldozer the car ascended the slope.  That is all it took: releasing the parking break.  All that work…all that frustration…..all that anger….all  because of a set parking break.  “Ugh,” I thought to myself.
     Wouldn’t it be nice if all of the struggles we face would have at such an easy fix, but you and I know that isn’t the way it works.  Many of the struggles that we face in life are so multi-facetted that the solutions are not quick and easy, but long and hard.  Other struggles are so deep and profound that it doesn’t seem like there is an answer.  Others come with resolutions that are worse than the problem itself, and some seem to come with no solution.
     That is the way life is.  You know it.  I know it, and the people who come to church on Sunday mornings know it.  When you find yourself sledding up a steep hill in life and going nowhere, know that there is a bunch of people who are glad to join you in your struggle: to lift you up when your strength is spent, to encourage you with their care when the struggle is long, to hold you when everything seems to be falling apart.  Sometimes Christians are guilty of pronouncing easy answers to life’s struggles, but most of the Christians for whom I have been their pastor have wallowed in life’s complexity themselves, and they know all too well that simple and easy answers are rarely found.  They know that their faith isn’t built on the hopes that God would solve all their problems.  Their faith is built on the cross and resurrection that shows God’s power to overcome all of our struggles.
     So, when you are stuck in a ditch and easy answers are hard to find, come join God’s people on Sunday morning, and you will find people who will embrace you with the grasp of God, the one who has shown his resolve to overwhelm all of our struggles with his grace and mercy.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment