Monday, January 21, 2013

Bungee Cord 1-21-13


Hello,
     “If I could have a beer with Jesus….”
     I was driving back from Pittsburgh in the loaner car that was given to me while  my car was having major repairs done when I heard this song come from the radio that was playing on one of the preset stations.  “If I could have a beer with Jesus….”
     I am not a regular country western, or even a frequent country western listener.   But as it so happened, some previous driver of this loaner car must have been and decided that I should be, thus gracing my ears with a tune that I had never heard before.  I snickered as I heard it.  The image of a sandal shod, robe clad, ancient Israeli sitting down at a honky tonk bar tickled me. 
     Although the image may have been a bit too dog-dying, jilted-lover country western for me, it did get me to thinking.  Wouldn’t we all want to “have a beer with Jesus”, and ask him some of the deepest things on our minds?  Maybe ask some of the same things that Thomas Rhett Akins, the singer of this song, was wanting to ask: “How’d you turn the other cheek to save a sorry soul like me?  Do you hear the prayers I send?  What happens when life ends?  Is mommy and daddy alright?”  Or maybe we would ask, “Where are you when unthinkable tragedies strike?  Are you real?  Will I make it through the darkness of my life?”
     Well, we in the Lutheran Christian tradition believe that something of the likes of what Thomas Rhett Akins sings actually happens….happens over and over again.   We believe that Jesus does invite us to have a drink with (and actually of) him every Sunday morning.  He joins us as we lean on a communion rail, invited to come with all of our questions, our failures, and fears and he gives an answer, his answer: “Take and eat.  This is my body.  Take and drink.  This is my blood.” 
     To some it may seem an odd answer, and maybe even an answer that dodges the questions that we bring, but when you consider it, what clearer and more satisfying answer could Jesus give us: an answer that embodies his deep love for us, a love that does not fall upon us from afar, but unites itself with us from within.  After all answers are only as trustworthy and secure as the trustworthiness and security of the one giving the answers.  Will any question, doubt or fear cause Jesus to turn his back on us…..take and eat, take and drink…..the answer: no.  Will any question, doubt, or fear separate us from God….take and eat, take and drink…the answer: no.
     Let me…no hear Jesus invite you to his table to sit down and have a drink with him.  And when you come, go ahead and ask him any question that you might bring, and experience the direct answer that Jesus will give to you.
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment