Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Bungee Cord 12-16-13

Hello,
     I put snow tires on my car this year, and it has made all the difference in the world.
     Last winter I tried to traverse the winding, hilly roads of western Pennsylvania with regular tires.  They were high performance tires designed to carry my Mini Cooper with handling ease on dry roads, which they did well.  But they lacked the grip when trying to weave around snow covered corners or when facing a icy hill.  More than once last year when the daytime snow blanketed the dry roads on which I drove to work, the travel home was precarious at best and the lane up to our house was not passable.  So, I would have to park my car on the bottom of our hill and trudge through the snow in my suit and dress shoes, leaving my car there until the snow melted.
     But this year things are different.  With my snow tires gripping the road under my front tires nothing seems unconquerable.  My car holds the turns as I serpentine my way over the ridge, and up my lane I go as if I was going downhill instead of up.  It is an amazing thing that has happened to my little car, now clad in snow tires.
     The Bible says this in Galatians, “7As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.”….I don’t know if the Apostle Paul would be offended if I changed slightly his image a bit, but it certainly seems apropos to do so as I look out my window and see fields of snow, “As many of you as were baptized into Christ have been equipped with Christ-gripping snow tires.”
     So, slick icy turns over which you would slide out of control with regular tires, need not cause you to turn around in defeat, for Baptized into Christ and therefore equipped with Christ-gripping snow tires you can take on those turns confidently and carefully.  When you come upon a snow blanketed hill you don’t have to cry uncle to the hill’s slippery incline, but instead equipped with Christ-gripping snow tires you can turn onto the lane and victoriously yell, “Charge!”
     In the wintery days of life when the travelling is treacherous and nail biting, remember that you do not run on high performance tires, for as the Bible says, “As many of you were baptized into Christ have been equipped with Christ-gripping snow tires.”  It makes all the difference in the world.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment