Monday, February 3, 2014

Bungee Cord 2-3-14

Hello,
Winter lesson number 1: when in hot tub, immerse deeply to stay warm.
My hot tub sits 10 feet from the sliding door to my Illini Mancave on the back side of my house.  So, in these winter months when I have the itch to sit in my hot tub, I first open the hot tub up clad in coat and gloves.  Then I re-enter my man cave, dress down as if it was an 80 degree summer day, re-open the sliding glass door, and DASH for the water! 
There is a certain peace that comes in sitting in the hot tub as soft snow falls from the sky, and on the coldest of days it is kind of fun to thumb my nose at the chill all the while sitting in the warm water dressed as if it were a mid-summer’s day.
Yet, as I sit in the hot tub, I have noticed that the cold still tries to chill my bones by attacking whatever stands above water level.  If I sit up straight, I find that the top of my shoulders ride above the water, and as the wind captures the spray from the jets I find that my shoulders and face can get quite cold quite fast.  So, being the physics genius that I am, I make a slight adjustment in my sitting….slouch down a bit, drawing the water to just under my chin and the cold is conquered.  Thus the lesson learned:  when it is cold outside, immerse yourself deeply in the hot tub to keep warm.
A lesson to be learned about life, too.  When it’s cold outside(and when is the world not cold and biting) immerse yourself deeply in the warm waters of God’s grace and mercy to keep warm.
How does one immerse one’s self deeper in the warm waters of God’s grace and mercy? 
Worship regularly:  develop relationships with the people of God who gather with you, listen attentively to the word of God, partake in the deepest embrace of God at his table, unite your voice with others in song and prayer.
Live out God’s grace: forgive those who have wronged you instead of holding grudges, reach out a hand of help to those who have fallen instead of leaving them lie in pain, visit and befriend those whom the world has tossed away, pray for those who would wish to be your enemy.
When Jesus said, “Come to me all you that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest,” had he had a hot tub, I think he would have said, “When it’s cold outside, remember to immerse yourself deeply in my tub of grace and mercy, and I will keep you warm.”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment