Monday, March 3, 2014

The Bungee Cord - 3-3-14

Hello,
     As you who regularly read the Bungee Cord know, I have made myself a Man Cave with quadraphonic University of Illinois garb blasting from each of the four walls.  Lately, it has been a place of mourning and weeping and gnashing of teeth as the Illini have taken their place in the football and basketball rankings in the locale of my Man Cave….the cellar.    Ah, but no sunshine fan here…maybe next year for the Illini…ahhhhh…… probably not.
     So as I developed my layout for my Man Cave, I determined that there are certain things that a Man Cave must have… a T.V. (check), a stereo (check), a Man Cave rug (I found one on the internet that says in bold letters “ILLINI MAN CAVE”… check), a game table (I went with ping pong over a pool table or card table as I don’t gamble and I can use the moderate exercise that ping pong delivers… check), and a dart board (check).
     Mind you, I haven’t played much darts in my five and a half decades of life, but it does seem to be a mandatory piece of man cavedom, and it is also one of those things that an aging person can learn to master.  So, I build a wooden backing that is about  four feet by four feet suspended on the cinder block wall on which to hang my dartboard. I covered it with cork, and set my dart board in the middle of it.  I was pretty proud of my carpentry work, yet as I eyed it, I could tell that it was not complete….it was neither orange or blue.
     So, I went to the local WalMart to get some burlap that I could stain orange.  I found the burlap, but there was no orange stain to be found (heresy!), but being a graduate of Madison elementary school I know that orange can be created by mixing yellow and red….two colors that were there.  So with burlap and dye in hand, I returned home to bring my dartboard backing up to par.
     I have never worked with dye before, but the directions seemed easy enough…heat some water…dump in some salt…and stir the dye in.  So, that is what I did…..and in doing so, I discovered something.  I began by dumping the red dye in, and then proceeded to follow with the yellow, and much to my surprise….no matter how much yellow I dumped in, the red overpowered it, and the dye stayed red.  So, off to WalMart I went again to purchase another set of dye packages….red and yellow.  This time, when I set off to do my dying, I started with yellow, and sprinkled in the red….and I discovered something this time, too…. It doesn’t take but a pinch of red to turn yellow to orange.  Actually, I feared that the small amount of red had overwhelmed my yellow to the point that I had created something far more red than orange…but when the burlap dried, I was satisfied with the orange that it had become, albeit a bit redder than I had hoped.  Red is an overpowering color!
     My dying (pun intended) experience was a great entrance into the upcoming season of Lent, the time when Christians ponder the passion of Christ that led him to die and shed his blood on the cross, red blood that has made its way into my life.  And this Lent, as I consider my relationship with God, I will do so having seen the overwhelming power of the color of red….red that I have come to see overpowers my weak yellow….yellow so weak that no matter how much I might dump into my relationship with God, the relationship is still dyed with the color red.  Red because as the Bible tells me, my relationship with God was begun by God, emptying himself into my life…holding nothing back….not even a drop of Jesus’ blood.
     This Lent, as I toss darts at my dartboard, with each throw that I make, I will remember the power of the color of red….the power of Jesus’ blood….a power that with a pinch turns yellow to orange, and a power that when the packet of red is emptied completely…..it is unchanged by an entire packet of yellow.
     Thank you, Lord, for the powerful love and forgiveness with which you have dyed my life.
Have a great week!
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

P.S. – Lent begins this Wednesday, Ash Wednesday, where we begin these 40 days of Lent, marked with a cross of ashes, ashes that we see every time we look into the mirror, an image that tells us the truth, that if not for Jesus death on the cross, we would have nothing to hope for but ashes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment