Monday, September 1, 2014

The Bungee Cord 9-1-14

Hello,
     Yesterday I participated in an ALS Ice Bucket spill. (You can see it on my Facebook page, Jerry Nuernberger.)  As you can see on the video, I used a large, blue, two gallon bucket for my spill. (I was thinking about using a Dixie Cup sized orange bucket with one ice cube in it.  But I decided that I would opt otherwise lest people discover what a wimp I am at heart.)  Two-thirds full of ice and water, at the count of three, I along with a bunch of others took a brief cold shower.
      I know that there have been a lot of varied opinions about this ice bucket challenge that has swept its way across the country.  Some people are exuberant.   Some people are skeptical.  Some people are cynical.
     When I was asked to participate, I had this flurry of opinions swirling around in my head, along with the wonder of why would I want to spill a bucket of very cold water over my head.  At first, I didn’t think I would join in….but then after thinking about it, I changed my mind and decided wholeheartedly that I would participate.  What made my mind change?
     Taking my vision off myself.  That is what changed my mind. 
     When my mind’s eye looked at the person who invited me, any speck of cynicism was blown away.  Here was a person who lived with the ravages of this disease, a person to whom I could tangibly show my care and support.   Why wouldn’t I dump a bucket of water over my head?
     When my mind’s eye looked at all the things that I spend my money on that don’t bring me the return that I had hoped for (a meal at a restaurant, a ticket to the movies, a car that ages, a trip that was boring), any hint of skepticism about how my contribution would be used to battle this disease that brings such pain to people’s lives evaporated.  Why wouldn’t I dump a bucket of water over my head and throw some money into a contribution pail?
     When my mind’s eye looked at the Golgotha cross where God didn’t ask of himself, what’s this costing me?  …or will this do any good?  ….or will I like it?  …or will it hurt?  No, God looked at me…and you….and said, “I will do this because I love you.”  All those love-lacking questions that God, who the Bible tells us is love,  doesn’t ask didn’t make any sense for me to ask either.  Why wouldn’t I, in the face of the cross of Christ, do something , like pouring a bucket of ice on my heat, that would only bring a short shock to my system?
     Taking my eyes off myself.  That is what changed my mind.  And I am glad that I did.  In this world that is always concerned about how much bang we get for our buck, I am glad that I live under the love of One gave himself completely for me – as Martin Luther said, “gave more than all the silver and gold in the world” – not even thinking about the bang….but only thinking about you and me.  And if there has been any bang for the buck that God laid out on that Calvary cross, maybe its that you and I have been so caught up in God’s self-less love that we have been freed from asking that love-lacking question “how much bang will I get for my buck?’
     Have a great week!
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernbeger

No comments:

Post a Comment