Monday, November 17, 2014

The Bungee Cord 11/17/14

Hello,
     Yesterday I had “brunch” at a Chinese restaurant in Flushing, New York.  I was visiting my son in NYC, and part of my visit was an experience of the Chinese culture.  It was a Sunday Brunch completely unlike any I have ever had.
     He, his girlfriend (who is Chinese), and I walked into the restaurant that had a dining hall the size of a basketball court.  The  “court” was filled with round tables that sat 8 per table.  Since we were only three, we shared the table with a young Chinese couple that seemed oblivious to our presence at their table.  We were directed to the table by a walkie-talkie holding “maitre d’” who waved us past the wall divider into the hall as if he were a traffic cop and we were car-dodging pedestrians.
     We might as well had been car-dodging pedestrians, because weaving in and around the tables were women pushing metal carts with the food.   Some of the food was on little plates, always in groups of three (and often undecipherable to my western eyes).  Other carts had covered vats with soups whose colors I had never seen in soup before.  And still other carts had food that was dipped out of large containers and place in a bowl for us to share.  The folks who shared our table asked for one such thing as a woman rolled by, a bowl full of sliced cow’s lung.
     To me, it felt like I was eating on a bumper car track.  The din of the conversation (all in Chinese) was so loud that I could barely hear my son’s girlfriend trying to tell me what I was eating (which may have been a blessing), and the women who pushed their carts around hawked their wares like concession sellers at baseball games.  Of course, there were no forks or spoons, only chopsticks, which I found exceptionally challenging to use when seeking to grasp one of the foods that was ….well…slimy. (I had to resort to spearing some of my food in order to lift it off my plate and bring it to my mouth.)
     Like I said, it was a brunch the likes of which I had never had before.  A brunch, however, I am very glad to have had.   I ate things that I had never eaten before, some of which I won’t be disappointed if I don’t eat again.  But more importantly around that brunch table, I experienced a culture that I had never experienced before.  Without having to go to China, I got a taste of the energy, the table fellowship, and the palate of a culture far different from the one that I daily experience.  It was a blessing which has broadened my life.
     Although I do it regularly, I feel like I experience the same sort of thing every time that I go to the Lord’s supper and receive Holy Communion.  That meal that comes with the promise of the body and blood of Jesus “in, with, and under the bread and wine” is of a sort that no human kitchen could concoct.  It is a unity with the Divine and with those who share this holy brunch with me that is beyond my human understanding, and the culture of forgiveness and mercy that permeates the meal gives me a taste of hope and love that is foreign to anything else in life.
     I was quickly filled as I ate my Chinese brunch, not only with food but also with a great appreciation for a different culture.  Let me extend to you the Lord’s invitation to come to his table on Sunday and see if you do not find yourself quickly and wonderfully filled….filled with the grace of God which far surpasses amazing, and filled with a new taste of hope that will flavor every encounter in life that you have with others and every challenge that you face.
     I am thankful for the invite given me to this past Sunday’s brunch.  Might I be so bold as to invite you to a wonderful brunch this Sunday…the Lord’s Supper.  It is a dining experience unlike any other.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment