Monday, March 23, 2015

Bungee Cord 3-23-15

Hello,
     This upcoming Sunday begins the apex of the year for the Christian faith.  This Sunday marks the day that the Bible tells of Jesus’ entrance into Jerusalem on a donkey, a ride that turned out to be a ride into the lion’s den, a ride that turned out to be a fast track to death on a cross.
     Something that people have debated and wondered ever since that donkey ride is, did Jesus know what he was getting into?
     Of course, several times in the Bible Jesus told his disciples of the rejection, the suffering, and the cross (and the resurrection…but that is for another Bungee Cord) that was to come at the end of his earthly ministry.  Some are quick to assign a great deal of divine knowledge to Jesus, and they would say that surely Jesus knew exactly what he was getting into.  Others are as equally quick to assign a great deal of human knowledge to Jesus, and they would just as surely say that his predictions of his demise were the logical expectation of anyone who created the level of stir that he had created.  Did Jesus really know the extent of what was going to happen to him as he rode into Jerusalem on that donkey?
     As far as I am concerned, I don’t care.  I don’t care how much he knew about the events that came to pass.  What I do care about is about is why he rode into Jerusalem.  Why?  Because of his conviction of God’s love and mercy for all people.  A conviction for which he was prepared to die….and for which he did die.
     As I read the Bible, I find that Jesus has likewise ridden into my life, victoriously claiming me as he did Jerusalem.  Not thundering into my life as upon a war stallion, but through soft words and the touch of water, much akin to a humble donkey. 
     Now some may wonder, when I was baptized, did Jesus know what he was getting into?  Did Jesus know the extent of the suffering and pain that I would bring him?  Did Jesus know the number of times that I would spit in his face?  Did Jesus know that I carried nails in my pocket and a hammer in my belt?  Did Jesus know what he was getting into when he rode into my life?
     Once again, as far as I am concerned, I don’t care.  I don’t care what he knew about what he was riding into when he rode into my life, because whether he knew what it was going to be like to have me as his or whether he had no idea, either way, what matters is why he rode into my life.   Why?  His conviction that no matter what lie ahead, I was worth it.  Worth it because of his love for me.  He deemed me as one for whom he was prepared to die…and he did.
     As we remember Jesus triumphant donkey ride into Jerusalem this Sunday, remember this: it is not the events of your life that Jesus uses to determine if you are willing to die for.  Jesus died for you and claims you in victory for one reason and one reason only.  God loves you.
     Wow!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace.

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment