Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bungee Cord  5-12-15

Hello,
     Someone recently said to me, “I know the Bible says that God doesn’t give you more than you can handle.”  Well, the Bible doesn’t say that, at least I can’t find where it says that.  What the Bible says is this, “No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.” (1 Cor. 10:13)
     I know that many people find comfort in this verse, but although I trust that it is true, it isn’t the most comforting word to me when I am feeling like I have been powerfully pummeled and I see another right jab coming my way.  It lacks a ring of comfort to me because I am not too sure that I enjoy the thought of being God’s sparring partner who God beats down to the point of breaking, but not beyond so that we can go at it again tomorrow.
     Truthfully, I am not certain what the Biblical writer was intending with this verse, but a God who sends his Son to die for me does not seem to be the kind of God who “tests” me by inflicting tragedies upon me, punching me to the point of me saying, “Uncle!”
     I don’t believe that God spends his time seeing how many “punches” it takes to bring me to my knees.  It is clear to me, however, that that is exactly what the world delights to do.  Day in and day out I hear the world awake me with the words, “Okay. Put up your dukes!”  Pressures at work and school that hit you square in the jaw.  Uppercuts that attack your relationships.  Lies that hit you in the gut and take the breath right out of you.  From the corner there are those advising you to keep your hands up!  Take it like a man!  Get up and fight!  Don’t be a sissy!  And when you’ve been thrashed enough, to the point that you can’t get up, that is when the crowd all around you starts yelling, “Looser!”
     So, to me, when I find myself beaten and bruised, gasping for breath on the ground, I am glad to hear this verse from the Bible, “11May you be made strong with all the strength that comes from his glorious power, and may you be prepared to endure everything with patience, while joyfully 12giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the light. 13He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” (Col. 1)
     When the strength to stand has been beaten out of me, when my eyes have become so swollen that I can’t even see where to swing, when I am so pummeled that I can’t even lift my hands…and there are days when I find myself that way…I am glad….no not glad….elated….that God will fill me with his strength…that God has rescued me from the clutches of the evil one….and that through the power of his forgiveness God will send the puncher running with his tale between his legs. 
     It is not my strength that I need to count on to stand and face another day.  The Bible tells me that I can face every day with courage, with hope, and with determination because when I stand toe to toe with the puncher, I do so with the power of God in my being.  Sure, some of the days will be heavy weight fights, the world does not give up easily, if not at all.  But, when I face those days, rather than quivering in paralyzing fear, I can find myself looking at the puncher square into his eyes and say, “Go ahead.  Hit me with your best shot.”, and then a smile comes to my face knowing the power of the divine punch to which the puncher will be on the receiving end.
     Someday, the puncher might just learn not to throw the first punch.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (GGAP)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment