Monday, March 28, 2016

The Bungee Cord  3-28-16

Hello,
     I woke up this morning with the wind rattling my windows, quite a change from the calm, placid Easter Sunday that we had yesterday.  Personally, I always hope for a bright, warm, and calm day for Easter.  When such Easter days happen, I find myself captured in the pure joy of the day; joy in Jesus’ resurrection victory over sin and death.  With the sun beaming bright, the Alleluias of Easter day are captured in a heavenly spotlight that makes them ring with clarion clarity.
     So, when I woke up this morning I was a bit disappointed in seeing the low hanging dark clouds in the sky being swept along by the strong gusting wind.  It kind of took the Easter wind out of my sails.
     But then I got to thinking.  Far from the peaceful, serene and sunny event that Easter has become for most of us, the Bible tells us that the first Easter was a swirling and churning occasion.  An earthquake….a huge boulder was rolled away….guards shook with fear and became like dead men…confusion and chaos with ears being filled with stories that were nearly impossible to believe.  Far from a gentle and soft wind caressing their lives, that first Easter was an explosion that rattled and shook everything.
     And come to think about it, thank God it did.  Thank God that the first Easter was much more akin to a voraciously hungry roaring lion, than a gentle kitten that purrs and wants to be petted.  I say that because I know how tightly my sins cling to me.  I know that the shame and guilt in my heart over the pain that I have caused acts like super glue.  I know that fear has a way of taking hold of my thoughts and plans.  I know that hopelessness can become a cataract that blurs everything I see.  In order for me to live in the victory of Easter, Easter better hit me with a hurricane of God’s grace.
     Today, on the first day after Easter, I find myself having changed my mind about the change of weather that has greeted me.  I find the rattling of my windows, the shaking of my house, and the swiftly moving clouds above me as a welcome reminder of the power of Easter, the power of Easter that sweeps into my life, and yours, that no evil can withstand.  Today, I am thankful that God’s grace is not a stagnant bubble of air that leaves the dust and the dirt of my life to cling on me, but instead it is a gusting gale ripping every parasitic, life sapping thing away from me.
     Oh, don’t get me wrong.  I still look forward to the sun drenched, peaceful days that are also part of life, but thanks to the climactic power of Easter, those days will not be stagnant and oppressive.  Instead they will be full of life…full of hope…full of peace…full of joy….and full of God’s grace!
Have a great (and breezy) day!
God’s grace and peace,

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment