Monday, August 22, 2016

Bungee Cord 8-22-16

Hello,
     It is almost September, and we still have eight chickens!
     Those of you who are regular Bungee Cord readers will remember that my wife has decided to become a minor chicken farmer.  A couple of years ago, she ordered six chicks of which three were still alive last fall when they became stew fodder.  Two  of the first batch met an early death under the keen hunting sense of our Gordon Setter, and another simply disappeared, hawk dinner we suppose.  The unfortunate thing about these chickens’ demise was that they all met their maker under my watch.  They perished on a couple of occasions when my wife went away for a weekend and left them to my care and protection. 
     When we got this second batch of chickens, I resolved that I would redeem my reputation at chicken tending, determined to make certain that not even one these chickens would perish under my watchful care.  Even though my wife has left me in charge of them a couple of times, they live on.  That is why I began this Bungee Cord with an exclamation: it is almost September, and we still have eight chickens!
     John 10:27ff says this, “My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. 29What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand.* 30The Father and I are one.’
     As much zeal and determination that I have to care for my wife’s chickens, it is clear to me that God’s zeal and determination to care for me is far greater.  I know that my motivation to care for these chickens is wrapped up in pride and ego, and if my dog should snag one of them, it will only be my pride and ego that is bruised.  Jesus, however, tells us earlier in this same chapter of John that it is heartfelt love that motivates his care of his sheep, and if any one of them should perish, it would break his heart.  So love-bound motivated is he that he says he would lay down his life for his sheep….and he did!
     I have kept these chickens safe from a pack of foxes.  I have made sure that they were safely in their coop at night, and I have kept watch on my dog when he is out and pulled him away when he strikes his hunting pose.  But I am easily distracted by baseball games, household chores, and telephone calls, a distraction that just might prove deadly.  Furthermore, if a coyote or bear was seeking a chicken dinner, I know that I would graciously entertain their wishes.  Never would I lay down my life for these (stupid) chickens.
     So when I hear that Jesus has me as the apple of his eye (Psalm 17:8), from which he is never distracted….and when I hear that Jesus neither slumbers or sleeps in his watch over me (Psalm 121:4)….and when I hear that Jesus will let nothing come between  he and me (Romans 8:38,39)…..I have great hope, hope in which I can rest safe and secure….absolutely safe and secure…..which is far more than my chickens can say of the hope they hold under my care.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment