Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Bungee Cord  2-21-17

Hello,

     If you were wondering where last week’s Bungee Cord was, well I was gone last week….but as you can tell, I am back!

     I drove out to Iowa to spend some time with my folks.  It is about a 11 hour drive that I split in two on my drive out and back.  On the way out I stopped in Toledo, Ohio where I had been a pastor in my 30’s and ate supper with a “kid” who is now 47 but was 16 when I was his pastor, and on the way back I stopped in Indy….just because.  I stayed at a Comfort Inn in Toledo, and a Holiday Inn Express in Indy.  Both were fine places to stay, but if I was going to rate them, I would rate the Holiday Inn Express higher for one reason…..the shampoo bottle.

     Figuring that I would stay at Hotels with those little shampoo bottles in the bathroom, I didn’t feel a need to pack my own.  When I woke up after my night’s sleep in Toledo, I made my way for my shower.  I grabbed a towel on the towel rack, and then I glanced over to the sink to gather my shampoo and soap.  The soap was nicely wrapped in plastic.  Next to it was three small tubes, one of which was the shampoo.  Problem was because my eyesight has waned, the printing was so small that I couldn’t make out which tube was the one that I wanted.  I stood there trying to stretch my arm out far enough for the printing to come into focus, but when it reached focus, then the letters were far too small to read.  So, I had to fumble my way back out into the sleeping area, search for my glasses, put them on and then I could read which one was the shampoo.  It was the middle one, just for your information.

     Expecting the same thing to happen in Indy, when I woke in the morning, I put my glasses on before heading to the shower….needlessly, because the printing on the three tubes on the sink was in large print!  A person with twice my blindness could have easily read the word “SHAMPOO”.  I was thankful for the forethought of this hotel for persons such as me.

     I am also thankful for the forethought of God for persons such as me. When I search for God’s love for me, I can sometimes find it difficult to see….the darkness of fear, the clutter of my life, the foolishness of distractions…all impede my vision.  But God has taken the sin-cataracts in my eyes into consideration, and he has done what that Indy hotel did.  God has written, “I LOVE YOU!” with huge and bold letters….by writing them in human flesh and blood….Jesus.

     I am thankful for the foresight of God for me that he wrote when Jesus died on the cross.  I am thankful for the foresight of God for me that he wrote when Jesus walked out of the Easter tomb.  I am thankful for the foresight of God for me that he wrote in the promises of my Baptism.  I am thankful for the foresight of God for me that he writes every time I gather with his body in worship and around his table to receive Holy Communion.  I am thankful for the foresight of God for me that he has written and keeps on writing his love for me in big, bold human letters….Jesus.

     He, likewise, writes those same letters for you, too!
     Have a great week.

God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment