Monday, June 19, 2017

Bungee Cord 6-19-17

Hello,
     I am now one of you, at least for a while.  June 11th was my last day of being the pastor at 1st Lutheran Church in Greensburg, making me one of you….someone who is not obligated to be in church on Sunday morning.

     But I went.  I slept in past the 6:00 that I have spent my life waking up on Sunday mornings, took care of my dogs, cats and my wife’s chickens (she is off riding her bike for a week in Ohio), had a relaxing cup of coffee with my cinnamon swirl bagel, and went to Lutheran church closest to my home (a 10 minute car ride replacing the 30 minute one that I have been making) for the 9:00 service, the only service.  An older woman with who was with  her grandson arrived at the same time as I did.  She greeted me with a “Good morning,” and likewise I greeted her.  I could tell that she could not place my face, and so I introduced myself saying that I had been the pastor of 1st Greensburg and since I lived just over the ridge, I would be spending my Sunday mornings with the folks of Bethel Lutheran Church for a while.  A smile came across her face as she told me her name, and she said, “Glad to have you with us.”

     I walked into the church where maybe 40 people had gathered and took my seat about half way up the aisle.  The church was buzzing with conversation that did not include me.  So, I relaxed in the pew awaiting worship to begin, something I haven’t been able to do as a pastor who is preparing to lead worship.  Lutherans have the worship practice of following the liturgy which is an order of worship that has been carried down for centuries, around the world, and across many denominations.  So, although Lutheran churches tend to do things a bit uniquely, this worship practice allowed me to feel somewhat at home among people who I had never met before.  I joined in the singing, the praying, the listening to scripture and the sermon, the participation in Holy Communion, and receiving a departing blessing.

     I was one of you this past Sunday, someone who was not obligated to go to church.....or was I?  Was I someone who was not obligated to go to church....are you?  I don't mean obligated because some church rule dictates my attendance like the Rotary club does.  I don’t mean obligated because the degree of God’s love for me is determined by my commitment to God.   After all, God sent his Son to die and rise for me.  How much more could God possibly love me?  I don’t mean obligated because the church has a budget that it is counting on me being part of.

     But if I want to be a person who is shaped by the grace and mercy of God instead of the pressures and judgments of the world…if I want to be a person who lives each day with deep thankfulness rather than imprisoning greed….if I want to be a person who sees hope in tomorrow when the world keeps on opening my eyes to things that raise up fear in me….if I want to be a person who sees in another a connection that inspires me to treat them with care that creates a world-wide blanket of peace….if I want to be this kind of person, and I do, maybe I am obligated to go to church.  As the disciples said to Jesus, “Lord, to whom shall we go.  You have the words of eternal life.”

     Jesus said that he had come to bring life, abundant life….an abundance of hope, an abundance of peace, an abundance of love, and abundance of joy, an abundance of purpose, an abundance of courage….sounds like the life that would be wonderful to have.  It is the life that I experienced being shaped in me as I sat in the pew this past Sunday….so when next Sunday comes…and every Sunday after that….even though I am not obligated to be in church to lead worship, I know that I am obligated to be there in order for my life to be shaped and changed.

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment