Monday, July 24, 2017

The Bungee Cord 7-24-17

Hello,

     I was in Baltimore this past weekend to celebrate the 60th birthday of a childhood friend, a birthday that I will be marking next month.  Needless to say, Baltimore life is more than minimally different from my life on top of my rural Pennsylvania hill.  So, I really didn’t know what sort of celebration I was going to be part of when I ventured to the neighborhood bar where the birthday festivities were going to be held.

     Mixed among storefronts and row houses, there on the corner was the bar.  The door of the bar was painted red, but was plastered with all manner of bumper stickers.  I walked in and found myself in a room the size of the TV lounge from my college dorm days (I don’t think TV lounges exist in dorms today where TV and internet hookups are part of every dorm room’s provision….advancement?), with the bar slicing the room in half.  There was just enough room on the patron side of the bar for stools to be placed at the bar and against the wall leaving a narrow corridor for movement.  I later found out that the interior of the bar had recently been renovated, accounting for the nicely painted walls, ceiling and unmarred bar.  In their renovation, either the owners wanted to provide a contrast for the nice/new look or they ran out of money, because the bar stools were tattered and torn, only remnants of vinyl covering the bare threads holding the foam padding in place.

     Apparently, this bar was the neighborhood gathering spot for those who called it their second home, a place where “everyone knows your name” (for young readers, as in “Cheers” of TV fame).  One of the attractions of this bar was that at the far end of the bar were two turn tables where patrons could spin records and share an evening of their music, which is what my birthday friend did once a month, and which he was doing that night to celebrate his birthday.  As my friend spun his records the bar’s patronage ebbed and flowed, many people coming up to him and concurrently wishing him a happy birthday and thanking him for his “spinning”.

     Sitting on my dilapidated bar stool watching and hearing all this happened, it occurred to me that in my 34 years of being a pastor, this was the first time that I had rendez-voused with a friend in a bar.  Being a Lutheran who finds himself aligned with the perspective of Christianity expounded by Martin Luther, there is nothing that prohibits me from frequenting a bar …. Martin Luther regularly did!  It just so happened that in the course of my ministry, bar frequenting just never found its way to my daily schedule.

     So, as I took in the sights of this “alien” place, I noticed a picture on the wall behind the bar between a couple of the mirrors and amid the bottles of liquor on display.  It was a familiar picture, one that I suspect many of you have seen, the picture of Jesus knocking on the door depicting the Bible verse, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock…”.  Except the artist’s rendition of this picture had a unique twist to it.  The door at which Jesus was knocking was the red, bumper sticker clad door of the bar.  And it suddenly occurred to me that the painter of this picture was letting it be known that this bar was regularly visited by Jesus, too.  There, in that neighborhood bar where everyone knows the other’s name, was the one who intimately knows everyone’s name.  He is there where people bring their lives, sharing the wondrous milestones of life, like a 60th birthday celebration, and bearing burdens in which they are drowning in sorrow.

     And how is Jesus there?  He is there through people who either knowingly or not are dispensing his grace….. bar tenders, fellow patrons, and painters of pictures.  Granted, there are many things that go on in bars….and even churches….that do not bear the imprint of Jesus, but that painting that sat on that liquor filled shelf reminded me, that the work of Jesus mercy extends far beyond the confines of a church.  Indeed, Jesus calls us to join him every Sunday in church, not to be part of a hidden club, but to empower us to bring the light of divine hope to every corner of the world.

     As Jesus said, the grace of God is not meant to be a candle only lighting the interior of a bushel basket, the interior of a church.  Jesus did not die for something so small as that.   The grace of God is meant to be a candle on a lampstand that brings light to every corner of a darkness shrouded world…a workplace…a school…a home….a team….and even a bar.

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

     

No comments:

Post a Comment