Monday, November 6, 2017

Bungee Cord 11-6-17

Hello,

     “See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God, and that is what we are.”  1 John 3:1

     Yesterday when I went to church, this verse was one of the readings assigned to be heard by worshippers around the world who celebrated All Saints Day.  It is the tradition in many churches to name those who have died over the course of the past year on All Saints Day.  In so doing Christians gather their tears and their grief and enfold them in God’s powerful claim, “neither life nor death can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8)

     To the naked eye death seems so very powerful.  It has the power to empty the chair at the table from which a life warming smile emanated every day.  It has the power to steal the embrace that sealed you with companionship as you faced every day.  It has the power to arrest a heart from both beating and caring.  It has the power to transform the presence of someone to lean on into a cane of memories to help you stand up.  It has the power to end…end everything.  To the naked eye death seems so very powerful.

     Although it may not have been heard as loudly as the singing inside of churches yesterday who bellowed out “For all the saints, who from their journey rest….”, there was a resounding chorus swirling around outside of those churches, “Listen to those fools!”   Fools.  That is the name that those who see the world with a naked eye only call those of us who stand in the shadow of death and sing of light.  Weak and simple minded.  Afraid to face reality.  Fools, that is what many in the world have named us who sang in church yesterday.

     Fact is, I know that for myself, I have not foolishly and fearfully closed my eyes when it comes to the power of death.  I am fully aware of death’s terminating power.  Thing is, I don’t only take in the world with naked eyes.  I also take in the world with opened ears, ears that I have not cleared out and cleaned, but ears full of the world’s noise have been battered with a sonic ram from the cross that held Christ and the tomb that couldn’t hold him. Cleared out and cleaned out by Christ himself so that I might hear the name that God has given me.  “Child.”

     With the eternal tenacity of a stubborn two year old clinging onto their bedtime blanket, God clings onto you and me with the same unyielding word, “Mine.”  It is an interesting turn that God makes.  God works on our sight through our ears.   It isn’t that Christians are afraid to look at the real world and the power of death.  Christians look at the world through the magnifying power of God’s word, a magnification that sees the cracks in death that came about when death quaked at the opening of the Easter tomb….magnification that sees the ray of light piercing its way from that tomb through the darkness….magnification that sees the specks of hope and peace forming with metastasizing power.  God has worked through my ears to make my sight more powerful than the naked eye.

   It is easy to see how powerful death is.  It is great to see how powerful God is.  Though those who see only with the naked eye may dub me “fool”, I find that name to be overwhelmed by the name that has battered its way  to my ears, “Child of God.”  And so I sang and sing with divinely powerful eyes, with gusto and hope, “For all the saints who from their journeys rest….”

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger





No comments:

Post a Comment