Monday, February 5, 2018

The Bungee Cord  2-5-18

Hello,

     I, along with millions of others, and maybe even you, watched the Super Bowl yesterday.  As Super Bowls go, I found it to be quite an entertaining game as well as a game that made a lot of people happy.  I say that because I saw a pie chart posted on Facebook this week with a small black sliver of that pie indicating the number of people who as Eagles fans were hoping that the Philadelphia Eagles would win.  The entire rest of the pie chart was a light green depicting the vast percentage of people who were just hoping that the Patriots would lose.  I know that the pie chart was a joke, but I have a feeling it wasn’t too far from the truth.  For a lot of reasons , the Patriots have become a team to hate.

     This morning as I was in my car with my radio on, the Public Radio station was doing a story on the Super Bowl.  As part of the story, the reporter was interviewing some of those folks that comprised that small black sliver of people who as Eagles fans were hoping that they would win.

     One woman interviewee said this, “Yesterday was the second greatest day in my life.  The first was the day that I married my husband. Yesterday I saw my Eagles finally win the Super Bowl, and that was the second greatest day in my life.”

     “Wow,” I thought to myself, “either that woman’s life is really miserable, really empty, or really shallow.”  After all, it was just a football game.  Now in saying that, you need to know that I am a big fan of sports….any kind of sports.  My wife will vouch for me by informing you of two things: the almost locked-in reception our TV has to ESPN, and the existence of my orange and blue, Oskeewowow Illinois man cave in our basement.  For all the sports that I watch, especially the Fighting Illini of the University of Illinois, I would find myself pretty excited if the Illini ever (and I mean ever…ugh) won a national championship, but I am certain that if they (but they won’t!) ever do win a national championship it would rank far down my list of the greatest days of my life.

     The thing that I like about sports is its ability to be a great diversion in life.  After all, running a ball across a goal line, hitting a home run, scoring a goal, making a basket, sinking a put hardly comprise matters of life and death.  Sure, the discipline and hard work put in by those who do these things best is worthy of admiration and emulation, but the end product is really a piece of entertainment and diversion.  It gives those who watch, and play, a chance to lose themselves in something of limited consequence so that that of greater consequence isn’t quite so overbearing.  And I believe that we all need these sort of diversions in life.

     Thing is, though, that like all diversions, life’s diversions are only temporary.  Sooner or later life hits us smack in the face, and when that happens something deep, not shallow or trivial, needs to be there to keep us from getting crushed or swept away.  And I find myself counting the advent of those things in my life as some of the greatest days in my life….the day that I married my wife, the day that each of my kids was born, the day I graduated from Seminary, the day someone said to me “you saved my life”….. on and on I could go.  Thankfully, unlike my fear for the interviewed Eagle fan, my life has been neither miserable, empty, or shallow.

     But greater than all of these days, one day yet stands out as the best: the day that I got hit with water….water that alerted me that it was me that was being spoken to…spoken to by the one whose power spans the universe, who holds it together, who permeates everything that is and isn’t…who is bound by nothing, not even space or time…..that that one was speaking to me and saying, “Jerry, it was for you that I died and rose, and I won’t let anything…and I mean anything….ever….and I mean ever....take you away from me.

     Now that was the greatest day in my life, a day that makes every day great!

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment