Monday, March 19, 2018

The Bungee Cord 3-19-18

Hello,

     One of the things that I do as a pastor is to visit shut-ins, and as part of that visit bring them Holy Communion.  For many of us Lutheran Christians, Holy Communion is a very important part of our spiritual lives.  When we gather around the Altar, there is an experience of unity with God and with one another that is a “lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path”.  So, for those whose life circumstances keeps them from joining us around the Altar, we take the bread and wine from the Altar to them, thus including them in this highpoint of the Christian faith.

     I was at the home of a person who had become homebound, and after catching up on how things are going for them, I said, “I have brought Communion with me, would you like to receive?”  Enthusiastically, the person and his wife said, “We would love that.”  I broke out my home communion “kit”, a wooden box of sorts made for me by my internship supervisor decades ago that carries the bread and wine from the Altar.  As I was getting everything set up, their adult son walked into the house, having completed an errand that he had run for them.

     “This is our pastor,” the parents said, “He has come to bring us Communion.  Do you want to join us?”

     There was a look of surprise on his face, and stumbling over his words he said, “Well, I don’t know.  It’s been a long time since I have been to Communion.”

     “That doesn’t matter,”  I said back.  “If you would like to join us, you are more than welcome.”

     Again, he hesitated, and said, “It’s been a long time since I have been to church.”

     “Well,” I said with a smile, “God doesn’t keep an attendance chart.  If you would like Communion, you are more than welcome to receive.”  And he did.  Into his hands I placed a piece of bread with the promise of Christ, “This is the body of Christ, given for you.”  Then, I did the same with a small glass of wine, and spoke the accompanying promise of Christ, “This is the blood of Christ, shed for you.”  Along with his father and mother who had just received Communion, too, I spoke a post-Communion blessing and gave them a benediction to seal our visit with God’s grace.  It was wonderful.

     Two Sundays from now will be Easter, the high-point of the year of the Christian faith.  It is the anniversary of the day that Jesus rose from the dead, and in his rising opened a life that nothing could steal away…..nothing that we might do, and nothing that might come our way, even death.  So, as we bump into each other through this Bungee Cord, might I be as bold as the mother I was visiting said to her son, “Do you want to join us?”

     “Well,” some might say to my invitation, “I don’t know.  It’s been a long time since I have been to church.”

     My response, “That doesn’t matter.”

     “It’s been a long time,” might still roll from one’s lips.  “It’s been a long time because….I just got too busy with life…I don’t like being told what I have to believe….I don’t know how much of the Christian faith I really believe….I have made such a mess of my life, I am embarrassed to go….I don’t have the money to give to the offering….I have been hurt by Christians……….”

      Still my response, “That doesn’t matter.  God doesn’t keep an attendance chart.”

     What God does is to say to you and me, that each of us is so loved by him that he sent his Son to die to wrap us in his grace, and he walked his Son out of the Easter tomb to wrap us in his embrace forever.  God loves you…..that is what God does, and God loves it when God gets a chance to express his love to you, because you and I know that love, especially unconditional, divine love, has the power to give life.

     I don’t care how often you come to church, or how long it has been since you have come to church…and I am sure that God feels likewise…as I invite you to join us for worship on Easter.  I just hope you will.  I hope that you will because God loves you and wants to express his love for you, and just like the parent whose child’s seat is empty at the dinner table, a measure of sadness will brush God’s heart if you are not there.

     Easter is two Sundays away, and Christians will gather to celebrate the day that changed everything.  “Would you like to join us?”

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment