Monday, July 16, 2018

The Bungee Cord  7-16-18

Hello,

     What do a groundhog, a raccoon, and a deer have in common?

     They were all the victims of roadkill on a quarter mile stretch of the road on which I was driving home from church yesterday afternoon. Apparently, Saturday was a tough night for the wildlife.  

     The first animal I came upon was the groundhog, an animal that I consider a pest.  They dig holes, they get into gardens.  So, when I drove by it, I have to admit that I felt little anguish in its demise.  After all, it was a groundhog….a pest.

     The second animal was the raccoon.  Although raccoons are pesty, too, at least they are kind of cute. They do get into garbage, and they torment our cats.  But their masked eyes, and their striped tail.  Well, they are cute.  So, as I drove by it, I felt mixed emotions.  The cuteness tugged at my heart.  The peskiness eased my dismay.

     The last animal was the deer, a doe.  And although deer can be a pest, especially to flowers and gardens, they are graceful and stately animals.  Since it was a doe, and having seen a lot of fawns around(what animal is cuter than a fawn?), I felt sadness stab my heart when I considered the possibility of a motherless fawn facing the world.  I felt sorrow for that doe’s fate as I drove around it, still lying on the road.

     I don’t think that I am alone in my variance of feeling as I encountered that groundhog, raccoon, and deer.  Different animals have a way of taking hold of our hearts with varying degree.  We like some more than others, leading us to value some more than others.

     When I consider the way that people look at each other, it seems to me that some are seen as groundhogs, some are seen as raccoons, and some are seen as deer.  Groundhogs….pests, low-lives, nothing but trouble.  Raccoons…..cute, but aggravating, meddlesome, destructive.  Deer…elegant, graceful, tender.  Although we might attempt to not let these impressions influence our reactions to these differing kind of people, truth is that most of us don’t do a very good job of looking beyond our impressions.  Think of how many “groundhogs” live though lives, seemingly ignored by the world, and when they die, their death isn’t even noticed. Think of the many “raccoons” who hover a little higher in life, but still stay anonymous to people’s hearts during their lives and when they die.  Think of the “deer” upon whom the world fawns, who people desire their companionship in life and deeply grieve their absence when they die.

     So, as I drive by you today in this Bungee Cord, I don’t know if you see yourself, or if the world sees you akin to a groundhog, a raccoon, or a deer.  I don’t know the degree to which the world values you.  But I do know this, although the world might treat you differently based upon your animal likeness, God does not.  The reason that I am certain of this lies in how Jesus encountered the “groundhogs, raccoons and deer” of the world.  Lepers, who were deemed untouchable and to be avoided, Jesus came near to them and touched them.  A Samaritan (considered black sheep cousins) woman whose personal life was such a mess that it led her to stay away from people and their judgmental stares, was the object of Jesus’ compassion and grace as she drew water from a well.  A tax collector who was the laughing stock of his town, became the host of a surprise visit from Jesus.  In Jesus’ heart and eyes, it doesn’t matter what the world sees in you, the only thing that matters is what Jesus sees in you….the fingerprint of God….the artwork of the divine potter…the lamb for which he is willing to endlessly search…the child for whom he is ready to die.

     When the world hits you hard….and it will….probably more than once…you can rest assured that the one who encounters you by the road will not thoughtlessly and maybe even callously drive by.  Instead, that one will stop, stop in his tracks no matter how universally busy he might be, take hold of you in a lifegiving embrace, and restore you in his grace…..no matter what animal likeness the world sees you to be.

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment