Monday, October 15, 2018

The Bungee Cord  10-15-18

Hello,

     How many Lutherans does it take to change a lightbulb?

     For those of you who are somewhat new to Christianity, or wonder why there are so many different names for groups of Christians (Lutherans, Roman Catholics, Pentecostal, Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodists, “non-denominational”… leaving out a bunch, and not even mentioning the distinct groups within each group (not all Lutherans are of the same branch of Lutheranism)), you may sometimes wonder what is going on?  Can’t we all just call ourselves “Christian” and leave it at that.

     Well, I hope that we do call each other “Christian”, no matter what particular group of Christianity we find ourselves in.  Problem is, though, that for most of Christian history, Christians have not done so.  The history of Christianity has been littered with claims of one group of Christians possessing the truth, and others being judged as falling short of the truth. Many, therefore, have seen this grouping of Christians by different names as a defect in the Christian church, a sign of our brokenness.  And when any group of Christians makes the arrogant claim that they have the corner on the truth, I agree that that is a sign of brokenness. 

     But personally, as a Lutheran Christian, not claiming that my understanding and practice is right and everyone else’s is wrong, I see the divisions of Christianity, not as a sign of brokenness, but as a sign of the breadth of the God who has revealed himself to us in Jesus Christ.

     I am not an expert on music, but I do know this, that when many different instruments play harmonically together, it is far more beautiful than having 100 of the same instruments all playing the same notes.  Rock and roll, classical, country….you name it… the combination of instruments and voices resonating harmonically together creates a wonderful beauty.

     Fact is, that is the wonder of the Bible, and thereby the Christian faith.  When you read the Bible you find that it is “symphonic” in its presentation.  If you read the first four books of the New Testament, you find different Gospel “instruments” being played.  Matthew is playing an instrument that is very concerned with connecting Jesus with the writings and practices of the Old Testament.  Mark is far more trumpet-like, just trying to quickly blare the message out.  Luke seems to be playing to those who may have been less connected to the Jewish traditions.  And John is like an organ, complex in its construction, and one who plays it plays with hands and feet and accomplished skill.  That is the way it is throughout the Bible….and thereby, in my mind, the Christian faith.

     Why are there so many groups within Christianity?  Well, because Christianity is, and always has been, composed of people playing different instruments, seeking to make beautiful music together…the beautiful music of the good news of God’s love in Jesus Christ.  When people ask me to speak of the differences between Christian groups, I find myself far less interested in making judgements on who is right or wrong, and far more interested in describing the kind of instrument of Christianity they are playing.

     I happen to play the guitar, and because of that, I know something about my instrument.  But ask me about an oboe…..well, I know very little, so my explanations of others is certainly lacking.  (That is why it is good to talk to someone who plays a different instrument in God’s band than you.)  I know my Christian instrument best (Lutheran)….an instrument that is strung with a supreme reliance on God’s love for us that spurs our love for God and others….an instrument that is grounded in the claim that God has made on us that shapes our lives and our faith….an instrument that experiences God’s tangible presence in Baptism and Communion….an instrument that doesn’t wait for me to find God, but trumpets God’s relentless search to find me and embrace me…an instrument where the mercy of God is boldly sounded.  As a Lutheran Christian playing in God’s Gospel band, I believe it is my job to take this instrument that God has given me and play it the best that I can, and enable others who play this instrument to do so, too.  I believe that is the role of every Christian group, so that when we play our song of God’s revelation in Jesus Christ, it rings with a beauty and grace that captivates the world, and also invites the world to play along in the instrument section with the instrument that they have been given to play.

     Of course, every instrument and instrumentalist has its strengths and weaknesses, things that need to be worked on and challenged.  Therein lies the answer to my opening question.

     How many Lutherans does it take to change a lightbulb?

     Change?

     We are working on that.  Hope you’ll work on it with us if this is the instrument that you are carrying. But if you are carrying a different instrument, I know this, that section of the band is hoping that you will work on it with them, too.

Have a great week.

God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment