Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Bungee Cord    2-12-19

Hello,

EVER CHANGED BY CHRIST’S CLAIMING CALL, TODAY I JOIN GOD IN THE DIVINE ADVENTURE OF MAKING ALL THINGS NEW.

     Some years ago, I felt like I needed some focus in my life, so I decided to write my personal mission statement.  I figured that if churches, businesses and governments can benefit from intentionally discerning who they are and where they hope to be going, it sure wouldn’t hurt me.  So, what I wrote above is what I came up with to anchor my feet and keep me from getting blown too far off course by the gusts of the world around me.

     My mission statement isn’t a mission statement for me as a pastor, but rather it is a statement for me as a person.  Through this mission statement, I hope to remember that God’s grace is at work in my life, every day, working in my life because God has chosen to do so without considering my worthiness.  And not only does God choose to do his potter’s work in my life, God has empowered me to be a force of grace and mercy in this world, and God leads the charge to bring life into death, and hope into despair.

     Of course, there are plenty of voices trying to tell me that my mission in life is elsewise.  Some, even fellow Christians, are often apt to tell me that my life’s mission is to conform to certain rules and standards…..rules and standards that are certainly worthy of my conforming…but that brings a daily burden of failure and frustration Some, even fellow Christians, are often apt to tell me that my life’s mission is to continually sharpen my gifts and talents, and in so doing become successful and powerful…but that makes every day a wrestling match with others….and that is very tiring.  Some, even fellow Christians, are often apt to tell me that my life’s mission is happiness and that God will lead me there if I carefully follow his directions…but such a goal turns out to be hollow and flimsy and easily topples when life’s storms pass through.

     Honestly, for some of my life I have listened to and followed these mission statements that have been spoken in my ears, but over the course of my life a clarifying voice has also made its way into my hearing…a voice that has spoken through hymns, sermons, and scripture as I have gathered weekly with the people of God in worship…a voice that has spoken through the touch of water and bread and wine….a voice that has etched its way into my soul when more than 7 times 70 I have heard the decree of God, “You are forgiven.”  It is this other voice that has formulated my mission statement, and with this voice resounding in my ears I find myself propelled by hope and joyful anticipation on the adventure of each day.

     I don’t know if my mission statement rings true to you and your life, but I share it with you today with the invitation of joining hands with me in the divine adventure ahead!

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment