Sunday, June 23, 2019

The Bungee Cord   6-23-19

Hello,

     Miss Nicklebee, Duncan, and Me.

     We have two garage cats.  Miss Nicklebee and her buddy, Attaboy.  Attaboy is an independent male.  Miss Nicklebee is a sweet, cuddle loving lady.  We see Attaboy occasionally as he is prone to wander the countryside.  Miss Nicklebee is a homebody, serenely resting around her cat box.

     Duncan is our 12 year old Gordon Setter who has a history with Miss Nicklebee.  Ever since we got the cats three years ago, Ducan (and his 2 ½ year old Gordon Setter buddy, MacMahon) have targeted the cats, stalking them and treeing them on occasion. Once, Duncan cornered Miss Nicklebee and was about to do her in when she was rescued from the jaws of death by my wife. My wife got to her just as Duncan was about to bring her days to an end by violently shaking her.  My wife got Duncan to drop her, but when he did, she laid motionless, barely breathing.  In shock. 

     Thankfully, she recovered, but she has not forgotten Duncan’s mal-treatment.  So, when he comes around, she takes cover.

     Yesterday, as I pulled into the garage, Miss Nicklebee was calmly nestled nest to her elevated cat box, elevated for safety.  When I got out of my car, I walked over to her.  She saw me coming, and characteristically she strolled over to the edge of the table awaiting me to pick her up and pet her. Which I did.  I petted behind her ears and under her chin, and then I held her on her back and scratched her belly, which she loves.  Like chocolate, she melted in my hands, purring contently.

     And then Duncan entered the garage, and when he saw Miss Nicklebee in my arms, he froze in a catatonic hunting stance.  His eyes set upon Miss Nicklebee.  He stared at her with evil intent.  She looked over at him……

     And then calmly looked away.  I continued petting her belly, and she continued her purring, at ease in my arms.  That is when I realized something.  I realized that she had come to learn that when she was in my arms, she was safe, safe from even the most terrifying thing.  But not only did she realize she was safe, she let that knowledge take hold of her.  She was at peace.

     She was right.  She was safe in my arms.  No need to fear…not even Duncan.  I, who find myself prone to anxiety and fear, learned something that day from Miss Nicklebee. In fact, I, too, am held in the arms of one within whose embrace I am entirely safe.  Jesus Christ.  The sins that may have once had me in their jaws, have me no longer.  The stalking stare of shame and guilt is only that….a stalking stare. Even death’s drooling appetite will not be satisfied by me.  Miss Nicklebee has learned to trust me and let that trust shape her life, might I learn the same of my Lord?

     Actually, I look forward to the day when I, who am held in the safe care of Jesus’ arms, will take a glance at that which is out to devour me, and like Miss Nicklebee am completely nonplussed.   I simply roll my head back in total serenity, restart my purring, and delight in the one who cares for me and loves me.  I look forward to that day, and even confidently  anticipate it, because I figure that if a simple garage cat can learn such a thing, surely I can, too.  Lord, keep on holding me.

Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger 

No comments:

Post a Comment