Monday, August 19, 2019

The Bungee Cord  8-19-19

Hello,

     Those of you who are regular readers of the Bungee Cord know that I spend my time before worship services out in front of the church waving at the people who pass by.  Sometimes people wave back.  Sometimes people don’t see me, or they act like they don’t see me.  Sometimes people tap their horn.  Sometimes those who are walking will stop and chat for a few minutes, and other walkers cross the street so they don’t have to chat with me. But this past Sunday my waving brought about an occurrence that has never happened before.

     A white SUV came down the street, and I waved.  Before it got to me, it slowed down, put on its turn signal, and came to stop right in front of me.  The driver of the car parked, and as I glanced in the windshield I noticed that this was someone that I didn’t know.  A visitor, perhaps.

     Out from the car emerged an older man, in his 80’s I suspect. He was tall, and had his grey hair trimmed close to his scalp, making him look almost bald.  Right above his forehead was a tuff of hair that he had let grow an inch or so, and it was combed up.  He had on dark rimmed glasses, wore a black suit, with a white shirt and a simply tied black tied.  I did not recognize him.

     “Good morning,” I said with a welcome note in my voice.

     “Good morning,” he said back, and before I could say anything further he said, “You know, I see you out here every Sunday and I just had to stop and say “hi” to you.”

     “Well, that is awful nice of you,” I said.  “Thanks for stopping.  Looks like you are dressed up for something.”

     “Yeah, on my way to church,” and he told me the church to which he was going, and I responded with a look of, “oh yeah, that church”, but I had never heard of it before.  We small talked a little bit, I asked him his name, and then  shaking his hand I said, “Yeah, I am out here every week waving, not so much to get people to stop, but to let them know that no matter how busy their lives are, someone cares.”

     And that is when he looked at me with a big smile on his face, his eyes looking skyward, and his finger pointing the same way, “Someone cares!”
   
      I said, “That’s right.”

      He turned around, headed for his car, and as he turned to open his door and get back in, I waved at him, and said to him calling him by his name, “Thanks for stopping.  Have a great day.”

     He smiled.  He waved back and drove off down the road.

     Guess my waving just might be making a dent of God’s grace in some people’s lives.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger


No comments:

Post a Comment