Monday, December 12, 2022

 The Bungee Cord. 12-12-22

Hello,
It’s been a while since I have sat on Santa Claus’ lap. Actually, I don’t know that I ever did, but I think that when someone sits on Santa’s lap, the first thing Santa asks is, “Have you been good this year?”
I suspect that all children, in hopes of getting presents, are quick to respond, “Of course Santa. Really good.”
II wonder, however, if there might be some precocious child who would ask, “Well, Santa, what’s the cut off for good?” What would Santa say? Is one “good” if one only teases their sister, and doesn’t hit her when one is angry? Is one “good” if one doesn’t spread rumors on social media, but doesn’t say anything at the lunch table when gossip is being said? Is one “good” if one obeys their parents most of the time? Is one “good” if one cleans their plate, but grumbles the whole time about how they hate spinach? “What is the cut off for good, Santa?”
Actually, it is not just a Christmas question that people find themselves asking of Santa Claus. It is a question I hear people saying every day. When I hear people say that you really need to believe to be saved, my wonderment is when does “really” kick in? When I hear people say if you truly are repentant, you will be forgiven, I wonder when does “truly” kicks in? When I hear people say to me after a funeral, “I know my loved one is in heaven because they were such a good person,” I find myself thinking when is “good” good enough? “God, what’s the cut off?”
Interestingly enough, Christmas is God’s answer to this question of cut offs, and God’s answer is: there is no cut off. There is no “good” that is good enough. There is no “really” that is complete enough. There is not “truly” that is pure enough. Our “enough’s” are not part of God’s thinking when it comes to taking God’s place in a Bethlehem manger, because it is not us who is filling that manger. It is God, and God, in Jesus, has done enough. There is no coal in God’s Christmas bag, there is only, as the book of John tells us, “grace upon grace”. There is no list of good or bad when it comes to who is to receive the greatest gift of all, God’s love and mercy. For “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son….who did not come into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved by him. (John3:16,17)
To me, I am not so worried that the world has made Christmas about presents and home comings. There is nothing bad about those things, but those things fall desperately short of the greatest thing about Christmas, and that is when we climb onto the lap of God on Christmas, God doesn’t ask, ”Have you been good this year?” God simply says to each of us, regardless of our goodness, “I have a present for you, and it is Jesus!”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of 2 people
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment