Tuesday, March 7, 2023

 The Bungee Cord 2-7-23

Hello,
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz………..
I have a confession to make. I fell asleep Sunday in church. I found myself pretty groggy as the sermon started because I didn’t get much sleep the night before and I am taking a blood pressure medicine that makes me drowsy. But I kept fighting if off as I knew the Pastor had something that would be important to hear, and my brother-in-law, who was visiting our church, was sitting next to me. (In truth, the latter was more important to me than former.). On the floor in front of me was my travelling mug of coffee, so I started taking sips from in to keep me from dozing off. But the coffee in it was decaf so it didn’t help me at all. I shuffled in my seat for a bit and tried to active listen to the preacher. Once again, to no avail. The pastor was a guest pastor, and he spoke with a low- level soothing voice. I worked on keeping my eyes open, but as the minutes went by I could feel my eye lids gaining weight, until I caught my head bobbing down on my chest. ZZZZZzzzz. I don’t know how many bobbles my head made. I don’t think it was very many, but fortunately the shock of the last bobble gave me a jolt of guilt, enough to keep me wake for the rest of the sermon.
But that is not the end of my confession of falling asleep in church. As a kid, from elementary age, through my Junior High years, and all the way through high school, sermon time was always a struggle to stay awake, and often I would doze off. But not for long, though, because the sharp elbow of my mother would find its way to my ribs to wake me up. A couple of months ago, I felt that same sensation, except this time it was coming from my wife who heard the low rumble of a snore coming out of my nose.
But I am not alone in my church-time napping. When I have preached, I notice many things going on in the congregation. Some people are visually locked in on me. Some are gazing out the window. Some are occupied with the baby in the pew in front of the. And some have fallen asleep…..or meditating with their eyes shut, so they say to me.
Throughout my life, I have looked askance at people falling asleep in church, including me. I can blame the pastor for being a boring and monotonous in voice, but neither of those things seem to count as I consider the words of Jesus who may have been boring and spoken in an Ambien tone, “If anyone has ears, listen.” Or I can fall on my own excuses: lack of sleep and all the things on my mind that lead me to drift away, but as Jesus said to his sleeping disciples on the day of his arrest, “could you not stay awake a few hours…..the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Or I can say that the sanctuary is so warm and it would put anyone to sleep.”
But as I think on the history of my siestas in church and many others joining in, I see a new insight. I find myself asking, “Is it really so bad to fall asleep in church?” Maybe the sleep is a sign that the church, in this way at least, is a place of comfort and solace. Unlike the outside world that piles pressure after pressure on our lives, and sleep is hard to find. Unlike the outside world that is moving so fast that you dare not fall asleep. Unlike the outside world where you can’t bring yourself to sleep as hungry wolves run rampant and vultures sail with a drool on their beak anticipating dropping out of the sky and gorging themselves on the fox’s leftovers or the innocent victims of road kill. Unlike the outside world the world, inside a church’ sanctuary there is a wide open doorr and the one whose home it is calls out, “‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Rest.
Maybe by the fact that some people fall asleep in church, it says that to some extent, the church is doing what is supposed to be doing: creating a place of restful, and gentle comfort. A place where there is safety and calm. A place where weary souls can find their rest, and lost travelers can find shelter. A place where the Prince of Peace, reigns in peace. A place so peaceful that it induces sleep.
Now, I am not saying that it is a good faith building thing to fall asleep every week in church, because when you fall asleep in church you miss the looking into the mirror and see the sin that has its hold on you , and you also miss the life save words that come from the pulpit that are transforming your life to be who you are, a child of God. But if it so happens that you come to church on Sunday beaten down by the bullies of this world and worn out from the voices of guilt that swirl in your brain, then a few moments of sleep in the pew is a sign that you have come to the right place: “And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Peaceful sleep.
Have a great week,
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of 5 people and people standing
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment