Wednesday, April 19, 2023

 The Bungee Cord. 4-19-23

Hello,
I am a couple of days late on this week’s Bungee Cord, because I just got back from a long weekend trip to the Grand Canyon. We had a family gathering of sorts there as my grandson celebrated his second birthday.
I had never been to the Grand Canyon before, but I had heard of its vastness and beauty. There are certain things in the world that mere descriptions do not match the reality of the sight, and for me, the Grand Canyon is one. Deeper than three Empire State Buildings, 18 miles wide and longer than the eye can see, 277 miles. Layers of red and grey cascade down the walls of the canyon. When you look over some of the walls, you look straight down. Other walls take your eyes in a milder slope to the middle of the canyon. I know that some people (not me!) find it an enjoyable challenge to hike down and up the canyon. Just imagining that sort of hike is exhaustive enough for me.
Being there reminded me of a camp song: https://youtu.be/wwY_YEazzv8
Deep and wide, deep and wide there’s a fountain flowing deep and wide.
Deep and wide, deep and wide there’s a fountain flowing deep and wide.
And on top of those lyrics, we used to sing:
So high you can’t get over it. So low you can’t get under it. So wide, you can’t get ‘round it.
O Lord, rock ‘a my soul.
Being there reminded me of the vastness of the grace of God. A grace that is unfathomably deep and wide. A grace that description cannot capture. A grace that when you are there seeing it, you are overwhelmed by its power and might. A grace that you can feel swallowing you up when you stand on the ledge and look into it.
I think that is the way I would have felt if I would have found myself standing at the foot of the cross with Jesus nailed upon it. Struck in awe of the vastness of God’s grace, its depth and width. Jesus, whose arms were outstretched, saying this is how wide my love is for you. Jesus, whose blood splattered the ground, saying this is how deep my love is for you. Jesus, whose eyes as he died piercing the heavens, saying this is how I my love is for you. So wide, you can’t get around it. So low, you can’t get under it. So high, you can’t get over it. O Lord, rock ‘a my soul!
Although you and I may never be able to stand at the foot of Jesus’ cross while he hangs on it, the truth is that Jesus comes to us where we cannot go. Jesus brings the cross to us, every Sunday as we kneel under it and reaching out our hands we receive the unfathomable grace of God, its depth and its width. “This is my body, given for you.” “This is my blood, shed for you.” We are swallowed up in the grace that we swallow. There at the edge of the communion table, we peer into a basin of grace so wide, so deep, so high that we are engulfed in awe and wonder. We may have heard how much Jesus loves you and me, but no words can carry the power of the reality of Jesus’ love. To be there at the ledge of our lives and see and taste for ourselves that “the Lord is good, and his mercy endures forever” is a Grand Canyon experience.
Take a trip to church this Sunday and see for yourself!
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of 2 people
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment