Tuesday, August 29, 2023

 The Bungee Cord. 8-29-23

Hello,
The reason that I didn’t get my Bungee Cord out yesterday is that I was playing golf yesterday afternoon with two of my sons who were visiting. All three of my sons were here over the weekend, and the four of us played golf on Saturday, but my oldest needed to return to Denver leaving just the three of us to play yesterday. None of us claims to be a very good golfer, but it is great fun to wander around the course together for several hours….swinging, slicing, hooking, duffing, occasionally hitting a great shot, and always laughingl
I don’t get to see my sons very often as they live in Denver, Charlotte, and Brooklyn. Time flies for me when we’re together, as it did yesterday on the golf course. When we teed off on the first hole, the forecast included the possibility of rain showers, but the radar was telling us that things should stay clear. And they did….mostly. On a couple of the holes, some sprinkles joined our game, and on the last three holes heavy rain fell on us. Everyone else cleared the course, but not us. We don’t get to goof around together very often, and besides, “It’s only a little rain.” In less than an hour, it rained an inch and a half at our house which is about 4 miles from the course.
I suppose that if I had been out on the course with anyone else, I would have abandoned ship, too. Wet hands and wet grips sent our shots flying even more aimlessly around the course. Puddles gathered our balls in and soaked our feet. Our clothes clung to us as if we had been sweating up a storm, but we played on. We weren’t going to let “a little rain” douse the joy of spending time together.
Now, I am not talking about major tragedies, but for me, when the rain showers of life hit, there is still joy to be found in playing the round because of who is playing with me, the Lord. The Lord doesn’t laugh at me when my shots go awry, he looks at me with a carefree smile, and we laugh together. The Lord doesn’t make belittling comments when I duff one really badly and my mighty swing only renders a couple of yards distance. No, he tosses me another ball and says, “Try that again.” He doesn’t walk away from me to play his perfect shot and abandon me in the sand trap, but he wanders into the trap with me and gives me a quick lesson and stays there with me even if it takes 5 hits to get out. And if it is pouring rain, he reminds me that “it’s just a little rain.”
I, just like everyone else, can get caught up in playing a round in life. Putting pressure on each of my swings as if my life depended on each one. Feeling my blood pressure rise when ball after ball that I hit plops in the water. Blushing in embarrassment as other people see me hit the divot further than the ball, even people that I don’t know. Aggravated at the storms that make play hard and even. Inclined to throw my club in the air, and ready to pick up my ball and head back to the car.
It is at moments like that that I hear the voice of the one with whom I am playing. “Fear not, I, the good shepherd have you and your life in my hand, and nothing will be able to snatch you away from me.” “Peace I give to you, not as the world gives, but my peace that surpasses all human understanding.” “I have come to save sinners.” “The waves don’t scare me. I walk on them.” And instead of picking up my ball, pout, and head for the clubhouse, I reach into my bag, pull out my wet handled driver, stick a tee in the ground, set a ball on it and swing away with joy….after all, what can beat playing a round of life with the Lord?
Fore!
Have a great week,
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
May be an image of 2 people, people golfing and golf course
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment