Monday, April 16, 2012

Bungee Cord 4-16-12

Hello,
     I thought I knew the rules of the road for bicyclist until I encountered a rider on my way home from supply preaching yesterday.  I had preached in Greenock, Pa, a town like so many here in western Penn that is built upon the rolling hills and valleys.  It took me just over an hour to get there via turnpike and four-lane roads, but since it was a beautiful spring day I decided to take the tortoise route home on a two-lane road that winds itself over the mountain.
     As I exited a larger town onto the winding road I came upon a bicyclist who was riding right in the middle of my lane.  This cyclist was obviously not a first timer.  He was dressed in bicycling gear and had the physique of Lance Armstrong.  As I came upon him, I wasn’t sure if he realized that I was behind him, so I gently tapped my horn to let him know that I was there.  I thought that he would respond to my gentle tap according to my understanding of the rules of the road for bicyclist and move to the side of the road so that I could pass him without extending myself too far across the double yellow line.
     But that didn’t happen.  Instead I was greeted by hand gestures that quickly told me that he was not about to move over, and he continued slowly riding up the shallow hill smack in the middle of the lane.  Thinking that I had simply been misunderstood and hoping he had one of those little rearview mirrors attached to his helmet, I smiled and motioned with my hand to indicate that all I wished him to do was to move to the right.  Once again, more unfriendly gestures.
     Several minutes later we approached an intersection and he indicated he was going to turn left.  He slowed down, and so did I.  As he turned he started yelling at me pronouncing God’s eternal judgment against me which I heard since my window was down.  As he completed his turn he had turned his face far enough to get a good glimpse of whom he was yelling at; a man dressed in a black suit sporting a clerical collar.  I wonder what he thought.
     I thought about that encounter the rest of the way home, vacillating between the lingering sting of his verbal barrage at me and feeling guilty for the negative Christian witness that he apparently received from me.  It was abundantly clear to me that this cyclist did not go away from me impacted with the unconditional, self-giving love of Jesus that I had just proclaimed minutes before in Greenock.  I tend to think that he categorized me instead as one of those hypocrites that many observe filling the pews of the church.  In that moment, I felt as though I had let Jesus down.
     All this is to say that Christians aren’t perfect.  We don’t always know what the best thing to do is, and even when we do, we don’t always do it.  Sometimes, as with my angered bicycler, we do things with the best of intentions that are received with quite the opposite judgment.  So, I hope that if you don’t go to church because someone in the church has wronged you – purposefully or otherwise – you might see beyond their imperfections to see the perfect love and mercy that Jesus has for you.  If you do go to church and are regularly aggravated by the less than Christian care coming from someone who is seated around you that you will see beyond their imperfection and experience the selfless compassion of the Lord.  I hope that if your experience of Christians seems less than Christ-like to you that you might give Christians another chance to get closer to the truth of Christ’s love for you.
     If the church claimed to be a bunch of perfect people (and unfortunately some people in the pews do seem to give the impression that they think themselves to be more perfect than some others) then it would be true that based upon the imperfect witness that Christians tend to give the church is full of hypocrites.  But in truth the church makes no such claim.  What we claim is that we are a motly group of imperfect people who are well aware of our need for forgiveness and hope that we are progressively made more Christ-like as we regularly spend time together with him.
      Someone said, “Christians aren’t perfect, they are forgiven.”  I hope my anonymous bicycler will forgive me just as he and I ….. and you….. have been forgiven by Christ.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment