Monday, April 23, 2012

The Bungee Cord 4-212


Hello,
     As many of you know, my wife and I moved from South Dakota to Western Pennsylvania in June with the plan of building a house here.  Well, even though there is still some work to be done on the house, we have been living in it for about a month.  As we were told before we began the process of building, house building is a stressful and sometimes exasperating experience….which at times it has been.  But now that we are in the house those negative feelings are waning in a tide of thankfulness for the blessing this house is.  When I have been frustrated and upset, I have tried to calm myself with the realization that it is a blessing to be able to build a house in a world where millions and millions of people do not even have a house.  Thank you, Lord, for this house.
     Trying to save some money, we told our builder that we would paint the inside of the garage instead of him having it done.  So, Saturday my wife and I gathered up our painting gear and took our place in the garage for a day’s worth of painting.  My wife’s brother, who graciously shared his home with us as we built our house, continued to show his kindness by showing up, ready to help us paint.  Our plan was to paint the ceiling first and them move all the stuff that was close to the wall into the middle of the garage and then paint the walls.  With that plan of attack, we spent the morning with our necks tilted back as we held the extenders in our hands and rolled the paint above us.  When it came time for a lunch break, my brother-in-law said to me, “How you doing?”  Tilting my head backwards, the position it had been for the last two hours, I said jokingly, “Well, I’ll be praising God all day tomorrow,” raising my arms to create a posture of divine praise.
    He responded, “You should do that all the time, anyway.”
    “Oh yeah,” I thought to myself, “I guess that I should praise God all the time anyway.”  Not because I would be bad not to do so, but because I would be blind not to do so.  It is true that the busy-ness of life and the struggles that we face can capture our vision causing us to droop our heads in weary despair.  But it is equally true that no matter how busy or tough our days may be, there are blessings aplenty from God filling our lives. 
     Now, I am not trying to say that there’s a silver lining to every cloud….no, some clouds are just plain thick and dark, void of any silver.  What I am saying, is this: there is no cloud so dark that it can keep God from reaching you with his love.  That is what my brother-in-law spoke of when he said, “We should be doing that (praising God) all the time, anyway.”  In the scheme of things, the clouds that have rolled over me as I have tried to get this house built are really mere feathery cirrus clouds that are made darker by the sunglasses of impatience and inconvenience that I wear.  Yet even these darkened cirrus clouds do not keep God from reaching me with his love in gracious family members, in time spent with my sons, with a wife who settles me down, and with forgiveness that is given to me every Sunday at his table.  But more importantly, when the cumulus thunderheads roll through…and they will for no one can avoid them…even then, God will reach us with his love and mercy.   How will he do that….I am not sure, but I am sure that he will keep his promise to do so.
     That is what makes these words that we hear every Sunday we come to the Lord’s table ring true, “It is indeed right and salutary that we should at all times in all places give thanks and praise to you, Almighty God….”  My neck has recovered from a morning’s worth of looking up at a garage ceiling, but my brother-in-law’s words still echo in my ears, “You should be (praising God) all the time, anyway,” causing my eyes to open, and my neck to tilt back, locking my head heavenward in spontaneous praise.
     Thank you, Lord!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment