Monday, June 18, 2012

Bungee Cord    6-18-12


Hello,
     I’ve worn glasses since I hit 40, a casualty of aging eyes.  When I first started wearing them, I could still read without them, but they made things a lot clearer.  Now, my arms aren’t long enough for me to be able to focus on any print short of headlines.  I don’t need them for long distances, but without them, things near to me are but fuzzy blurs.  Without them, I cannot read….which is what I have to do on Sunday mornings when I preach and lead worship.
     I was out walking my dog the other day and taking pictures of our house to post on my facebook page, when I noticed that my glasses were not on my face.  Since I was mainly doing long distance viewing, I really didn’t need them, and that is why I couldn’t remember when I had them on last.  When Duncan, my dog, and I got back home, I began searching for them in places where I thought I might have laid them…nope.  Then I searched places where I thought I might not have laid them….nope.  With the house scoured, I went to the garage and my car…nope.  The only place left to search was the fields in which I had been walking…..GOOD LUCK!
     I decided that I should try and backtrack my path, but with some of the grass knee high, my hopes were not very high.  Actually, I was hoping that they were still in my house somewhere.  So, I started out into the field walking very slowly and scoping the ground as if I was panning for gold.  Down one path and along another…nope.  But just before I hit the deep grass I saw this glimmer from the ground…eureka!  (Which comes from the Greek for “I found it”.)  There they were…my glasses … or my “glass eyes”  which I jokingly call them.   How they fell there, I don’t know?  But there they were.
     I can’t say that I danced for joy when I found them, but I did breath a big sigh of relief; relief that I would be able to see to lead worship, and relief that I wasn’t going to have to shell out the money for new glasses.
      Jesus tells two parables about how important you and I (actually all people) are to God.  So important is each person to God, that if God were a shepherd and one sheep strayed away, he would search till he found it…or if God were an elderly woman who lost a small coin, God would search for it until it was found….and in both cases, when the sheep or coin was found, not only would God dance a jig for joy, but all of heaven would join in with him.  And the amazing reason for God’s elation:  God cannot go on without you or me.
     It is one thing to find one’s glasses so that one can read.  It is far another thing to find something so important that one cannot even go on without it….and that is what Jesus says you and I (actually everyone) is to God.  It is an amazing reality to consider.  It is almost beyond human credibility that the one who encompasses all things and all time should so deeply care for you or me that God would not be able to go on without us.  Unbelievable?  Yet that is what Jesus tells us, and that is what we celebrate every Sunday morning and build our lives upon for Monday through Saturday.
     The world may think you or me to be dispensible.  Bosses are quick to let us know that their businesses can survive without us, and spouses know that the day will come when they will have to press on without the other.  But not so with God.  You and I are not dispensible.  God cannot go on without us.  If you or I stray – get lost – God will search high and low, in every knick and corner, in every cesspool and cemetery until God finds us.  And when he finds us…and he will says Jesus….there will be no holding back the joy for God….for as unbelievable as it may seem to be, God cannot go on without us.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment