Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Bungee Cord   9-17-12


Hello,
     This past Sunday I was installed as the Senior Pastor of First Lutheran Church of Greensburg, Pennsylvania, a church at which I have been working since the first of June.  “Makes it sound like he’s a computer program,” said someone reacting to what happened to me on Sunday.  And given that I have been the Senior Pastor there for the last three months, it may seem a bit late to install me now, after all it feels to me like I have been doing what a pastor is supposed to do over this past summer.
     Maybe in the computer world in which we live, the word “install” creates a bit of confusion, for the installation of a pastor isn’t really meant to mark the day that a pastor begins to work, but it is the day that the pastor makes promises to the congregation as to what they can expect of his or her work, and the congregation likewise makes promises to the pastor of what she or he can expect from them in their shared mission.   So this past Sunday the congregation and I promised that we would pray for each other, support each other, draw upon God’s strength in our work, and sing the notes of God’s grace and mercy that Lutherans have sung for over 500 years.  “I will,” I said, “and I ask God to help me.”, and so said the congregation.  Installed.
     Interestingly enough, one of the Bible passages selected to be read in every Lutheran church in the world was Mark 8, where Jesus asked his disciple who people thought that he was.  The disciple told Jesus the variety of what people were thinking.  Then Jesus responded to their answers, “But who do you say that I am?”  Peter spoke boldly and rightly, “You are the Messiah.”  I say that I find it interesting and ironic that this passage should be appointed for the Sunday on which I was installed because it is probably the most important passage for a newly installed pastor and the receiving congregation to hear.  It is important because it makes something perfectly clear, and this is it: that no matter how skilled or talented or no matter how experienced or wise any pastor might be, no pastor is the Messiah.  Jesus is.
     As a pastor, it is far too easy to slip into placing far too much responsibility on my shoulders, and likewise it is also far to easy for a congregation to likewise place far too much responsibility on the shoulders of their pastor.  Sure, as a pastor, I need to do my best. God deserves no less.  I need to do my best in preaching, in teaching, in relating to people, in coordinating the ministry of the church, and everything else that a pastor does.  Yet all the while doing my best, it is essential for me and the congregation to remember, I am not the Messiah.  Jesus is.
     Pastors don’t save people.  Jesus does.  No matter how eloquent the speech, no pastor can take a broken heart and rise up new life in it….only Jesus can do that.  No matter how savvy a pastor is in the latest trends and fads, no pastor can pull people away from the empty things that take hold of their lives…only Jesus can do that.  And no matter how good and holy a pastor’s life might be, no pastor can unleash (by themselves) the chains of sin or break down the gates of death….only Jesus can do that.
     As I promise the congregation of First Lutheran Church how I will work among them, and they make promises to me, it is important to know…it is a relief to know…it is a blessing to know….that I am not the messiah….Jesus is.   And I hope and pray that Jesus will use me as a vessel of his grace and mercy to accomplish only what he, the Messiah, can do.
     I am now the officially installed Senior Pastor of First Lutheran Church of Greensburg, Pennsylvania.  Jesus is the Messiah!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment