Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bungee 10-18-12


Hello,
     I don’t know if I’ll be saying this in December, but right now I really like my drive to  and from work.  It is about a 23 mile ride, and it begins with a winding incline to the top of the ridge on a two lane road that cuts through the woods.  This past week has been the peak of the fall colors, and on my ride over the ridge I am surrounded by orange, red, yellow, green and burgundy to my right and my left and above.  Ribbons of sunlight slice through the foliage.  An occasional deer or raccoons stands on the side of the road and follows me with their glace, turning their heads as I pass by.  Birds swoop from one tree to another.  Once over the ridge the road takes me to a panoramic vista that spans for miles and gathers in the hillside farms, the small towns, and multicolored tree lines.  Further along my ride, I pass through the towns where the children await their bus, and sometimes there’s some brave souls out for their daily jog.  I often share the road with only a few cars, and sometimes with no cars at all.  It is peaceful.  It is a blessing.   It is beautiful.  Describing it falls far short of seeing it.  I wish that you could ride along with me and see the beauty that I see.
     To me, this is also what the heart of telling others about Jesus is all about.  It is an invitation to ride along life’s path and take in the beauty that I have been graced to see.  As I wind my way from life’s valley to ridge,  the warmth of Jesus compassion envelops me like an autumnal forest, to my right and left and above me.  As I exit the woods Jesus takes me to a hilltop crest see a vista of hope that is more than my eyes can take in, a crest  that holds a cross stained with Jesus’ sin gathered blood…..taking my sins away….taking my breath away.  It is peaceful.  It is a blessing.  It is beautiful.  Describing it falls far short of seeing.  I wish that you could ride along with me and see the beauty that I see.  That is why I tell you and others about Jesus.
     I don’t find myself to be one who tells others about Jesus in order to save them from the fury of hell, because I know that life is hellish enough, with cesspools all over the place.  I don’t think I have to turn people’s eyes to the painful realities of this world.  It is easy to have our eyes caught upon the cesspools of life and turn to despair and hopelessness.  And I don’t think that I am being simple and naïve to think that one can keep from seeing the pain all around us by just looking elsewhere.  No, when I turn people’s eyes to Jesus and the beauty that is there to behold in him, I am hoping that they see something that I have been given to see… amazing grace, Jesus loves me, for unto us a child is born, a beautiful savior….
I hope you will be part of the ride this Sunday in church…and see what I have be graced to see….something that will leave an impression on you….an impression of hope, an impression of peace, and an impression of delight.  There is a beauty to Jesus that is greater than the Pennsylvania hills in the autumn.  Let me invite you to catch a glimpse of it!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment