Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bungee Cord 10-23-12


Hello,
     It was 80 degrees here today, so when I got home I decided that both Duncan (my dog) and I needed a good autumn stroll.  So, I grabbed his leash and said, “Duncan, do you want to go for a walk?”  Wondering if he heard what he thought he heard, he tilted his head askew, and I asked again.  Certain that he heard what he hoped he heard, his tail started wagging like a plane’s propeller, and he darted to the back corner of our property where our walks always begin.
     However, rather than going northwest to the butterfly hill, Duncan decided to go down the edge of our property to the west taking us to the woods where we had not gone before.  The woods are a 400 acre plot of land that has trails running through it like blood vessels.  We began our trek around three in the afternoon, and I figured if we stayed on a trail we could take a short hike and see some new sights and be home before supper.  Unfortunately, the trail took us deep into the tall trees, and soon I had no idea where I was.
I knew that there was a main trail to the north, and thanks to the bright sun that was in the southern sky, I tried to keep the sun on my back.  An hour later, the sun guided me to the trail that I was familiar with.  Tired and worn we climbed up the hill from which we began, and when we walked in the door of our house Duncan plopped down the floor and I on the couch.  Neither of us had expected the work out that we got, and both of us were glad that light of the sun had led us home.
I don’t know about you,  but my life is a lot like my afternoon walk…..along a path that I know not where it is taking me, up and down exhausting hills, and guided by the Son.
“O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown.  Give us faith to go out with good courage, no knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen” (Evangelical Lutheran Worship p. 304)
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment