Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bungee Cord 6-9-13


Hello,
     Last week as I was taking my dog, Duncan, for his daily walk in the fields that lie around our house we ran into some deer. Actually, we ran into deer twice. Fortunately, Duncan was well attached to his leash, so he wasn’t able to chase down these intruders. 
     The first encounter happened as we came out from a forested area and we surprised two does and by it wobbly legs the third was apparently a newborn fawn.  The does, when they spotted us, took off leaping across the knee-high grass as if they were running a hurdles race.  The fawn, which could not have had enough life behind it to be taught, buckled its unsteady legs and dropped flat to the ground, hidden now by the tall grass.
     Duncan and my intended path would have taken us between the fawn and its mother and accompanying doe-friend, but having remembered the words of my mountain wise friend, Ralph, Duncan and I redirected our route in a different direction.  What Ralph had told me was that a mother doe was as dangerous as a mother bear if it felt its fawn in danger.  So, knowing that that fawn’s mother was undoubtedly just over the hill carefully surveying the safety of its child ready to come charging and trampling any threat, Duncan and I made sure that our revised path was a clear message to that doe, that she had no feed to worry.
     The new path that we took sent us around another hill, through another wooded area, and back into a tall-grassed field.  As we walked along the tall grass, we encountered our second group of deer.  At first we only saw one doe striding slowly through grass.  She didn’t see us, but she did see another doe coming out of a distant tree line.  Behind that doe the grass was moving, and every so often we could see the ears of the very small fawn that was following her.  The first deer sped up her gait and approached the second doe, and just when they were about nose to nose, the second deer rose up on her back legs and assumed the pose of a boxer with her front hoofs.  Soon the approaching deer did the same and a short-lived boxing match began that the mother doe apparently won as the encroaching deer put down her dukes and sprinted away.  Duncan and I watched from afar, but as we neared where the boxing ring was located, we did so wary of being challenged by the boxing mother doe to a fight of our own.  Fortunately, neither Duncan nor I found ourselves in that mother doe’s ring.
     It occurred to me after I got back home, that these two deer encounters might have helped me see in better detail how God keeps his promise to watch over you and me.  Sometimes it might be that when trouble draws near to me and I have instinctively fallen to my knees and I look around for God, and he doesn’t seem to be around….maybe God has responded like that first doe that Duncan and I ran into.  Maybe God has taken off, luring the trouble away from the tall grass that is hiding me.  Even though he may not be in sight, woe to any evil that might come upon me as God stands poised to come leaping and bounding ready to trample the enemy.
     Other times when trouble encroaches, God like that fawn-guarding doe, holds God’s ground, puts up God’s dukes, and says, “You’ve got to get through me if you think you’re going to get to my fawn!”  And woe to any evil that would want to try a round in the ring with God almighty!
     There is a hymn that goes, “Savior like a shepherd lead me much I need your gentle care…”.  After my walk with Duncan, I find myself singing instead, “Savior like a mother doe lead me….”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment