Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Bungee Cord - 7/29/13



Hello,
     BEWARE: POISON IVY ON THE RISE!
     As I wind my way over the ridge to and from work, I often listen to the news magazine programs on Public Radio.  In addition to covering the daily news, they also examine a wide range of topics.  So, when they said that after the break they would be taking a look at the increasing Poison Ivy growth in our country, my ears perked up because on our property we have enough poison ivy that if I could figure out a practical use for it, I could give up my day job!
     Apparently, poison ivy is flourishing in our country.  It is more pervasive and bigger in size.  “It is not unusual,” said the interviewee, “for you to find pan-size leaves.”  Beyond its size, it is also cropping up in places that it had never grown before.  Scientists aren’t sure why.  Is it the growth of CO2 in the atmosphere?  Is it the weather?  Who knows?  But…. BEWARE:POISON IVY ON THE RISE!
     That is bad news for the 80% of the population that is affected by its toxin.  I don’t know if I am part of that 80% or not.  Truth is that I walk through it daily and mow over it weekly, and to date….either because I am part of the lucky 20% or because I vigorously wash with Dawn Dish soap if I have been in it…I have not caught it (knock/wood).  And I hope not to catch it having heard the testimony of a local pastor who is battling its itch, and having heard from the radio interview that a person can die from it
     There are those who say that poison ivy isn’t the only enemy on the rise, they also say that “poison ivy” is flourishing like never before in the world:  violence, drugs, carousing….and with them an itch of hopelessness, purposelessness, and fear that doesn’t go away.   As I look around my corner of the world and see the fragility of relationships, the vice grip that drugs in which many are caught, and the lock and alarm systems that abound, it is clear to me that “poison ivy” is flourishing in our day.  But on the other hand, being a person who was raised in the ‘60’s where “poison ivy” grew pretty well then, too, I can only suspect that the truth of the matter is that “poison ivy” is one of those things that grows pretty well no matter what the decade.
     The Bible calls this “poison ivy” sin, and just like the green thing that spreads on the ground, you and I know that poison ivy/sin can kill you.  Hopelessness can sap the life right out of you.  Shame can itch at your soul and drive you crazy.  Fear can swell up and make life painful to touch.
     It may be no coincidence that when God, in his love and mercy, provided the remedy for this “poison ivy” that God’s remedy came in the form of washing, the washing of Baptism.  Sure the water of Baptism is simple water, but instead of being mixed with Dawn Dish soap, the waters of Baptism are infused with the promises of God….promises that cut through the oil of the “poison ivy” and take away the itch.  Guilt and shame are washed away with God’s promise from the cross, “You are forgiven.”  Hopelessness and fear are washed away with God’s promise, “You are mine, and I will never let you go.”
     So if you are “itching”, let me invite you to come to church this Sunday where the echo of those Baptismal promises will wash over you, and where Jesus will invite you to his table and give you a “booster shot” of his love and mercy in Holy Communion.  Fact is, “poison ivy” is flourishing.  Every one of us walks through it and mows it down every day…..so, from one “itcher” to another, let me invite you to church where the “itch” will find its end and overwhelming thanksgiving will take its place.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (GGAP)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger


No comments:

Post a Comment