Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The BUngee Cord  8-6-13


Hello,
    This past weekend, my wife, Kate, went to visit her sister, leaving me to take care of the chickens (which I report survived, if not thrived) and in the company of our loyal dog, Duncan.  Duncan is a 5 year old Gordon Setter who has been with us since his puppyhood.  Jokingly I say that he loves me and obeys Kate.  This weekend I found out differently.
     It used to be  when we lived in Sioux Falls that Duncan would spend his nights in a kennel afar from our bedroom, in the laundry room.  When we moved to Pennsylvania and lived by the good graces of Kate’s brother in their cabin, his kennel moved to the bedroom.  However, the kennel was soon abandoned as his sleeping quarters when he discovered that Kate’s brother’s dogs took their place on the king-size bed upon which her brother and his wife slept.  A new habit was formed.  So, now that we have lived in our house for a while, the kennel has been placed in the garage attic, and Duncan makes himself cozy on one of the beds….often ours….on my side!
     Well, this weekend, even though the bed was half vacant, when it became bed time, Duncan did not hop into bed with me.  Instead, he went into the front bedroom where he could lay himself down and keep an eye out the window.  It didn’t strike me as too unusual, because it is upon this front bedroom bed that he often sleeps, but when I noticed that over the course of the weekend he would sit himself down in front of our house and watch out over the drive.  It didn’t take too long for me to realize what he was doing….he was looking for Kate to come back home.  When she did come back home, he greeted her with tail away, and since now all was right in the world, he also took his place back on our bed…..on my side!
     It all reminded me of the parable that Jesus told that we call the Prodigal Son, but others who study the Bible have entitled “The Loving Father”.  As you may well know it is about a father that has two sons, of which the younger one in disrespectful manner demanded his inheritance (even before his father’s death) and then ran off and wasted it on wild living.  His other son, in the mean time, dutifully stayed at home and worked.  When the younger son finally “came to himself”, he decided to come home and beg for mercy, the mercy that would be given a slave.  Jesus, however, tells us that while the younger son was still far off, the father spotted him and like a fool ran out to greet him, kissing him…..with tail awag! “Get a robe!  Get some sandals!  Get a ring!  Kill the calf…lets party!”  Although the older brother didn’t find it to be so, with the son’s return, all was right in the world.  The father’s son was by his side.
     As Jesus tells the story it seems clear that the Father was like Duncan….always keeping an eye on the driveway, looking for the return of the one who was missing, and until that one was back, he would keep his watch.  I am convinced that it was the father’s love that pulled his son back (like a bungee cord). It may have been that Duncan took sentry duty awaiting my wife’s return,  but I know that I was just as anxious to have her back…even more so…..than he.
     This weekend I experienced the point of this parable that Jesus told, the point being that God so intently loves each of his children that things are not right in his heart when even one of them is not with him, and no matter how far away a child of God’s may go, God’s eye is on the horizon and his heart is attached to the hearts of his children pulling them back to his side, where when they are back God’s greets them …. greets you and me….with tail awag!
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment