Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Bungee Cord  9-2-13


Hello,
     I usually leave my house around 7 a.m. on Sundays, as I did this past Sunday.  The first thing that I do when I jump into my car is ajust my radio to NPR where a weekly program called “Sunday Baroque” is aired.  It purports to be on for four hours, but I only catch the 30 minutes that it serenades me over the ridge.  Believe me, I am not always so cultured.  Often times when I jump into my car my, my radio is blaring “oldies” (rock music from pre-2000), or sports talk from listening to the Pirates.  But for some reason, neither “Oldies” or sports talk seems appropriate to set my mind for worship, and so I listen instead to Bach, Mozart, Handel and the like on “Sunday Baroque.”
     As I was about half way to work, a piece came on the air that had been written for the recorder.  Remembering the days in grade school when we were taught to play the recorder, I prepared myself for something akin to “Twinkle, Twinkle, little star”.  Instead what I heard was this complicated piece with notes streaming by as fast and numerous as shoppers entering a store on Black Friday.  In my mind’s eye I could see the recorderist’s fingers tapping on that plastic white tube with a red mouthpiece more quickly than a middle schooler texting in English class.  On and on he went.  Never a break.  Never a time to take a breath.  How did he do it?  I was losing my breath just listening to it.
     People who play wind instruments tell me that the secret to playing these kinds of pieces is to learn how to circle breath, which as I understand it is to breath in through your nose as you are breathing out of your mouth.  Sounds like it requires a bit more coordination than rubbing your tummy and patting your head.
     I suspect that there are weeks, and maybe even every week, that your life mimics that recorderist’s piece: the list of things to do and places to be looking like a Bach musical score, and the pressure of the expectations that others lay upon you squeezing the breath right out of you.  No time for a break.  Never a time to take a breath. How do you do it?
     Most of us have learned to circle breath in life, breathing in and out at the same time, multitasking, texting and tweeting.  And as amazingly good as we can be at playing our life’s complex and crazy score, we can’t circle breath forever.  We need to take a good long breath and clear out our lungs.  We need to gather air for the days when the wind gets knocked out of us.  We need to draw our breath in slowly and feast on the fragrances that come with it.
     For me, that is what Sunday morning worship is all about.  It’s about taking a break from circle breathing and just breath.  Breath in……and then breath out.  Clean out the residue of the smog of life as my lungs are filled with the forgiving grace of God.  Take a deep breath and recover from the gut punches the world has thrown at me.  Savor with a slow breath the love and wonder of God’s presence in my life.
     For me, going to church on Sunday morning is not just one more thing to do, one more place to be, one more commitment to fill in a circle breathing life.  For me, going to church on Sunday morning is the deep, lung filled, life filled breathing that I need to carry me through the circle breathing days of my life.
     So, come this Sunday to church….and take a long, deep, and slow breath.  It beats circle breathing!
Have a great week,
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment