Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bungee Cord 9-22-13


Hello,
I am a graffiti artist.  I guess that I have been one for a long time, but I didn’t realize it until this morning.
On the way home from worship I passed under an overpass that I have passed under hundreds of times, never noticing what I noticed this morning.  On each of the overpass’ wide pillars were large white squares painted on them, covering up the graffiti that someone applied there.  I don’t know why I haven’t noticed them before, but maybe the thing that drew my attention to these graffiti covering boxes was the fact that I just finished a bit of my own graffiti artistry.
No less than an hour before I placed the mark of a cross on the forehead of a little girl just after she was baptized.  I admit it.  I am a graffiti artist.  My canvass is not overpass posts, building wall,  or privacy fences…..mine is the forehead.  Mostly the forehead of little children held in their parents’ arms, but every once in a while on older children and adults.  Having been splashed in simple water from the tap, and having the stake of God’s claim on them spoken amid the splash, I take my thumb and inscribe with the oil of my skin a cross….”you have been sealed with the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ forever.”
The problem is that graffiti artist are considered to be vandals and pests.  Having spent some time in an inner-city neighborhood, I learned that the best way to discourage graffiti artists is to paint over their artwork as soon as they spray it on, which is what the city of Greensburg had done on those overpass posts.  It is based upon the theory of least resistance…..with plenty of places to display their craft, graffiti artists give up on the places that resist their work.
But not this graffiti artist.  I know that the moment that little child that bears the cross that I drew on her forehead left our church the world was fast at work to cover it up…covering it up what the world claims is important…hoping that she won’t see the claim that Jesus has made upon her…to love her, to forgive her, to walk with her, to break down the gates of death for her.
Call me a fool, a fool for Christ, but I won’t be deterred.  Every time that I will see that little girl…every time I see everyone who has been washed in the waters of Baptism, sealed with the Holy Spirit, and “marked with the cross of Christ forever” … I re-etch that cross over the world’s cover up.  I re-etch it by greeting each one with the love of Christ.  I re-etch it by marking young children with that very same cross on their foreheads when they come to the Lord’s table.  I re-etch when older children and adults come to the Lord’s Table and the cross of Jesus bleeds through.  I re-etch it when I raise my hand over a casket and ensign a cross.  I re-etch it when I hit the send button and the Bungee Cord makes its mark on you.  I won’t let the world cover up my graffiti.
The world might think that I am a pastor, but that is just my cover.  I’m really a graffiti artist with a Christ driven determination to never let the world cover the cross of Christ up.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger
Graffiti Artist in Residence, First Lutheran Church

No comments:

Post a Comment