Monday, April 28, 2014

Bungee cord
4-28-14

Dear Justin Bieber,
     An interesting thing happened last week when I Googled “Jesus” looking for an image of Jesus to use for a PowerPoint Bible study that I am doing for a group of mostly senior women.  As I scanned down the rows of pictures, there on the 4th row was a picture of you wading out of the ocean.  Jokingly, I wondered if you were placed among the pictures of Jesus because you, like Jesus, walked on water.
     I discovered, when out of curiosity I clicked the picture, that you have a tattoo of Jesus on your calf, and that is why you popped up when I Googled “Jesus”.
     You’ve been in the news a lot recently, Justin, news that comes from being in the spotlight.  I cannot even imagine what it is like to live in the spotlight that you do, a spotlight that seems to set you up as one who does walk on water.  Unlike most of us who don’t find the trivial things, the troubling things, and the terrible things that we have done publically plastered, you do.  We know about the latest tattoo that you got inked.  We know about the hurtful things that you have done and said.  We know about the dangerous way you drive your car and the smoke of the drugs that have filled an airplane.  We know about you what most people don’t know about us….that your life, although probably in the main is noted with acts of kindness, is not very Jesus-like.
     Let me confess, publically, neither is mine.  I don’t walk on water.  As a matter of fact, I often sink.  So, in this world that seems to have an insatiable appetite to feast on people’s foibles, I am thankful that there is one to whom I can go who embraces me, sinker that I am: Jesus.  Sunday after Sunday when I go to church, we begin by everyone there putting the light on the truth that over the past week there has been much in our lives that has not been very Jesus-like.  Once that truth has been put out in the open, we are confronted by another truth.  The truth that the one whom death could not even bring down…the one who does walk on water…. that one reaches down as we sink and lifts us up with forgiveness and mercy, resuscitating us with his grace, putting his life in our lungs.  I find that transforming.  I find that hopeful.
     So, Justin, if you are ever in the Pittsburgh area (Greensburg is just about a half our east) let me invite you to the place that gives me life and hope to carry me into every day, First Lutheran Church of Greensburg, Pa.  When you come, you’ll find out, as I have found out, that no one will care how many tattoos you have.  No one will say you cannot sit by them because of how foolish you may have been or what drugs you have used.  No one will bar the door on you and not let you come in because of even the most painful things you have done….things that maybe even the press has not discovered.
     What you will find is that Jesus will invite you to his table and take hold of you with an embrace deeper than any human hug, pulling you up from sinking, and filling you with his life and forgiveness.  He who is the light of the world will not let the spotlight of the world melt you away.  He who is the bread of life will not let bread (a slang word for money when I was a kid) stave you.  He who is Good Shepherd will be a body guard who will push aside the crowds and lead you to still waters.
    Don’t know when you’re coming to Pittsburgh next, but when you do, I sure hope to see you….not on stage….but next to me at the Table of the Lord.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment