Monday, May 19, 2014

Bungee Cord 5-19-14

Hello,
     “Pastor!!  Pastor!” the secretary yelled up the stairs to my office.  I had heard her  yell like this before when something was going on in the parking lot of our urban sited church.  So, I in my late 20’s but looking like I was in my late teens, puffed up my chest a bit to make myself look as intimidating as an adolescent looking pastor could be.
    “Pastor!  Pastor! Look!” she said to me as I reached the bottom of the stairs.  To my surprise, she was not pointing out the window, but was holding a piece of paper in both of her hands, cash.  Flopping them in the air she said, “Pastor I was counting last night’s offering from Vacation Bible School, and this (flapping the bill in her left hand) was wrapped up in this (flapping the bill in her right hand).  What are we going to do?”
     Taking a couple of steps closer I saw the source of her concern.  The bill in her left hand was a $100.00 bill, and the bill in her right hand was a $1.00 bill.  “Someone,” she said, “must not have known that this (the $100 dollar bill) was behind this (the $1 dollar bill).  What should we do?”
     I shrugged and with all of my 5 years of pastoral wisdom said, “I don’t think that there’s anything that we can do.  If someone discovers they are missing $100 dollars, we can give it back.  But if not, I guess we’ll just have to put it toward Vacation Bible School offering.”
     No one said anything, so the $100 dollar bill went into the offering, which for the sake of the Vacation Bible School was a good thing.  That year we had switched our attack on VBS, and changed it from a kid’s daytime program to an intergenerational evening program to be funded by the offerings.  We averaged over 120 people each night for a week, so we ran up a bit of a bill…a bill for which that bill really helped.
     When the same two bills appeared in the offering the next year’s Vacation Bible School, I realized that the first time that this happened was not a mistake (these two bills wrapped in each other appeared every year that I was at that church).  After eight years at that church, I moved to a different church.  As I was going around visiting people, saying good bye, I stopped at one home, the home of a couple in their 70’s.  As we sat sipping coffee in their dining room, the man looked at me with a teasing glimmer in his eye.  “Did you ever find a couple of bills wrapped around each other in the VBS offering?” he said.
     “Yes, as a matter of fact we did,” not knowing if I had been tested year after year?
     “Well,” he said with a large pregnant pause, “I thought it would be fun to surprise you.”  We all chuckled.
     His name was Don.  His wife’s name was Mary.  I found out that Don died this past year, and that Mary has been gone for a while.  They were gentle souls.  He had been a star football quarterback in his high school years. Their lives had not been spared the struggles that come with life and raising kids.  But as I knew them, they always remained unflappable and full of faith.  The door to their life open to anyone, and their seats in church filled every Sunday.  Mary tended perennial flower gardens, and got me started perennial gardening, too.  Don, in his 70’s, helped me reroof the flat roof of my garage.  Always a gentle smile from Mary.  Always a warm handshake from Don.
     There are those people in life who probably without great intent make a big dent in our lives.  Mary and Don were such people for me.  As I age closer to the age when I knew them, I hope that I can be like Don.
     I give thanks to God for the intersection of my life with theirs.  It was a blessing.  It is my hope that God will use me to likewise bless others….and I hope that God will use you in “Don-like” and “Mary-like” fashion
     For those of you old enough to remember the Nike commercials who had little kids saying of Michael Jordan, “I want to be like Mike,” I say let them have Mike, I’d rather be like Don (or Mary) any day!
     Have a great day.           
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment