Monday, July 28, 2014

Bungee Cord 7-28-14

Hello,
    Saturday morning at 4:00 I woke myself from sleep when I rolled over and I found my world swirling around as if I had been swept up in a tornado.  When I opened my eyes my ceiling looked as if it was a record spinning on a turntable, and I could feel the gastric juices in my stomach churning and swelling with volcanic potential.
     This had happened to me once before when out of nowhere I was overcome with dizziness and nausea accompanied with a full body cold sweat.  The cause of my distress was plugged ear tubes that put a computer crash on my balancing mechanisms behind my ear drums.  This time as with the previous time even the slightest motion would speed up the swirling and increase the pressure building in my belly.  So, learning from my previous experience, I tried to lie perfectly still in hopes that it would still everything down.  I pinched my nose and blew it thinking that I could dislodge whatever was plugging my tubes, and although I could hear a “pop”, no relief.
     Having tried to resolve the problem myself, I determined my only hope would be in waking my wife….at 4:00 in the morning.  “Dear,” I said a couple of times before I broke her slumber, “I can’t move.  If I do, I get so dizzy that I feel sick.  Could you get me a decongestant to clear my head out?”
     Graciously, she got out of bed and went to the medicine cabinet, returning with the decongestant that had helped before.  I slowly lifted my head, took the pill, and put my head back on my pillow, trying not to move a muscle.  I lay there a while unable to return to sleep, but after some passage of time I dozed off.  When dawn arrived and I opened my eyes again the swirling had abated some, but not completely gone.   So, I took another decongestant hoping that a second shelling of the blockage would do the trick….which in about a half an hour I was pleased to find out that it did.
     Have you ever woke up, not from sleep, but maybe from a slumbering life, only to find the world swirling around you with nauseating power?  Your head clogged and pressure building?  Pressure from overwhelming expectations at work…from disappointment with failure….from guilt over something you have done….from sorrow over a loved one gone from your life….from fear as you face powers far greater than you…from despair over a sink hole you have fallen into and is too deep for you to climb out?  Dizzying?
     Well, if so, so have I, and I have found that I need something to clear my head out and relieve the pressure.  The thing that has done the trick for me is a good dose of the grace of God: God’s love for me in Jesus that requires nothing of me, God’s promise of shepherding presence even when I wander, God’s unrelenting forgiveness that is given even when I sin 70 x 70 times, God’s hand that lifts me up from my failures giving me hope to try again, and God’s embrace from which “nothing in all creation” can separate me.
     That is what going to church is all about for me, getting a good dose of God’s grace to clear out my head.  Away from the noise of the world, splashed awake with the waters of Baptism, lifted up by the Word of God, strengthened by Jesus’ uniting with me at his table, and recharged to face the struggles of life….that’s the dose of God’s grace that I receive every Sunday when I worship.  It’s the dose of grace that also awaits you.
     Feeling a bit dizzy?  See you in church!
Have a great week,
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment