Sunday, July 6, 2014

Bungee Cord 7-7-14

Hello,
     “Rumor is that you’re a preacher,” said a high school kid I had never met who told me that he lived across the valley from me.  He and a buddy had just hopped out of their Rhino that had zipped through my back yard and disappeared.  They had come back  to ask me if it was ok for them to ride around on my property (after, of course, they had already done so…but it was nice of them to ask).
     “Rumor is that you’re a preacher.”  His statement caught me off guard.  So, apparently the people in our sparsely populated valley and ridge have been talking about me….”you know that house on the hill…a preacher lives there.”
     I responded to his statement, “Is that a good rumor or bad?”
     “It’s okay,” he said.
     He and his buddy were the kind of kids common to this area, “ridge kids”…..a bit unkempt, kids who have been hunting since they learned to crawl and were shooting guns before that,  kids who spent their afternoons catching fish at the nearby lake, kids who endure school, kids who have cousins by the dozens living around them, and kids who have Rhino’s and four wheelers and buzz around the ridge and valley in them.
     “Yeah.  I am the pastor at First Lutheran Church in Greensburg”, the “big” town 25 miles away over the ridge, the county seat and the closest thing to urban life in this county an hour east of Pittsburgh.
     “Oh,” he said, “I figured that you were preacher at Word of Life, or something.”  Word of Life is a very conservative independent “mega-church”.  I don’t know why he thought this was so.  It must have been part of the rumor.
     “No, Lutheran.  Right downtown Greensburg, three blocks south of the courthouse.”
     “I’m Lutheran, too,” he said, “I go to Zion’s in Donegal,” a small church 3 miles south of where I live.
     Surprised again.  Surprised to find out that this high school kid with whom I seemed to have nothing in common (I am a bit of a fish out of water here…I don’t own a gun, don’t know how to shoot one, don’t hunt, could never field dress an animal without tossing my cookies, don’t have a four wheeler, regularly take showers, and have spent a good deal of my life engaged in education.)  is actually a blood relative, brothers in Christ who align ourselves with the grace focused teachings of Martin Luther.
   He and his buddy hopped back into their Rhino after receiving permission from me to ride it …..slowly….and away from my house.  I don’t know how often I will see him.  I have lived here two years, and this was my first meeting with him.  But if I don’t see him again for another two years, I hope that he will put some truth in the rumors that are apparently circling around.
     “You know that guy that lives on top of the hill…..he’s a preacher, alright.  He’s a Lutheran, just like me, and he talked to me like he really cared about me.  He’s a pretty good guy.”
     If that’s the rumor that starts swirling around the valley and ridge, I’ll take it.
     I guess that I should not have been taken by surprise to hear that people are talking about me….I would wager that they are talking about you, too.   I don’t know how the rumor will be shaped when this high school Rhino rider goes back home and talks to his clan, but I do know this……I am thankful that I had a chance to put some flesh on the rumor….flesh that hopefully bore witness to the one whose blood bound us together regardless of how different we are, a witness of care, love, respect, forgiveness and grace.
     Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace,
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger


No comments:

Post a Comment