Monday, December 29, 2014

The Bungee Cord 12-29-14

Hello,
     In a couple of days we will have ended another spin around the sun.  According to the internet, we’ve been travelling at 67,062 miles per hour and spinning at the rate of somewhere around 1000 miles per hour.  That’s quite a ride!  Compare that ride to the ride of the fastest roller coaster in the world,  the Formula Rossa in the United Arab Emirates which races along its track at a top speed of 150 miles per hour.  If you can’t go that far for a thrill, there’s a coaster at Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio that hits 120 miles an hour.
     I know the feeling of my stomach in my throat as I have gotten of some roller coasters, a couple of which I have said when I stepped off, “I don’t think that I will do that again!”  There are some people who enjoy that feeling.  They enjoy the racing of their hearts and the sweat gushing from their glands.  But not me.  Put me in a Bumper Car or a water dowsing Log Ride, and I will feel like I have gotten my money’s worth out of my amusement part ticket fee.
     The problem about the ride that you and I have taken this year  around the sun is that there is no getting off.  And unlike amusement park rides, the ride around the sun is never the same.  Well, physically it may be the same, but in reality it takes us over and around new curves, up and down new valleys, and spinning us through new cork screws.  We never know as the ride starts again if it will be smoother or bumpier, calmer or scarier.  All we know is that we’ll be travelling at 67,062 miles per hour and spinning at 1000 miles per hour.
     No wonder we are often pretty tired and worn out as we end each lap.
     When I take my seat on a roller coaster, I make sure that I am firmly clamped in by the safety bar across my lap.  Fact of the matter, I even feel more prepared for the ride ahead if I am fastened to my seat not only across my waist, but also over my shoulders.  As I hear the clicking of the track engaging the car, I jostle the harnesses to make sure they are tight and say, “Ok….here we go!”
     So, as you and I hear the seconds click as the track engages our car to take us into the coaster ride ahead, notice that you are well strapped in…strapped in by the arms of Jesus that were nailed into place for you.  Who knows how wild the ride will be this year, but beyond the fact that we can be certain of the speed and the spin, we can also be certain of this: we will not be thrown out.  So if you are feeling your heart beginning to race and  sweat beginning to rise, fear not.  Jesus will hold you tight through each bend and twist, climb and fall until you arrive at the end of this year’s spin…..where you’ll get to go for yet another ride.  “Ok….here we go!”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (GGAP)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment