Sunday, January 4, 2015

Bungee Cord 1-5-15
Hello,
Way back in August, I took on a “little” project: to phone everyone in the congregation. 
The purpose of my phone call was simply to say “hi” and to see how everyone is doing.  The church that I serve is a pretty normal Lutheran church in that there are a lot more people on our membership roster than the number of people that attend worship on any Sunday morning.  This happens because we believe that when Christ takes us into his family, it is his love and claim on us that secures us a place in his family.  It isn’t how good or bad we are.  It isn’t how active or inactive we are.  It isn’t how much we contribute or do not contribute.  Just like most human families, we Lutherans believe that it is who we are, children of God, that marks our family identity. (Of course we learn more of each other when we spend time together, and God’s grace is more formative in our lives when we share time together around the family table.)
So, First Lutheran of Greensburg, Pa. has about 1200 people on our membership roster, and my hope was to make a contact with every one of them before the year was over.  Well, as you know, the year ended a couple of days ago, and I can say that I met my goal.  I made over 500 phone calls and sent a letter to another 100 for whom we had no telephone number. 
It turned out to be a very interesting project.
I found out how busy people are, in that I reached a lot of answering machines instead of people.  So when I was told by the machine to leave a message, I did.   “Hi.  This is Pastor Jerry from First Lutheran calling to say “hi” and see how you’re doing.  Unfortunately, I’ve missed you today.  But I hope that by virtue of this call and the letter that I will send you, you know that as your Pastor, I am here for you.  Nothing too big…nothing too small.  If I can help you, please feel free to ask.  It might work out better for you to call me so that we can chat…..” 
I reached about 150 and got a chance to talk with them.  “Hi.  This is Pastor Jerry from First Lutheran, and I ‘m calling today to say “Hi” and to see how you’re doing.  So, “Hi,” and “How are you doing.?”
I also found out that we have a lot of wrong numbers, and so for those people I sent a letter saying basically what I left on the answering machine.
I learned some things:
First, the people appreciated my call.  Many thanked me for my call when I talked to them, and many for whom I left a message expressed their thanks when they saw me later.
Second, many people thought that I had some hidden agenda in my call, “Well, I know, Pastor, that I don’t get to church as often as I should.”  To which I responded, “This isn’t a guilt call.  I am just calling as your pastor to say “Hi” and see how you are doing.”
Third, it is pretty easy for people to fall through the cracks and get lost.
Why did I take on this project?  Because of what Jesus said, and what Jesus did.
What did he say? “By this all people will know that you are my disciples: by the love that you have for one another.”  It seems to me that these words get lost among Jesus’ disciples today, and I was trying to give them back their place by making a contact of unconditional love…the kind of love that Jesus has for each of God’s children.
What did Jesus do?  He, like the shepherd in his parable, went and sought out the sheep that had wandered off, and in finding them he rejoiced.  It seems to me that this, too, has gotten lost among Jesus’ disciples today.  It is far too easy for us to turn our focus to those “good” sheep who stay in the fold, and give the message to those who wander that we have either forgotten them or given up on them…neither of which Jesus did.
I know that a  phone call is a relatively minor contact with a person, and I know that receiving a Bungee Cord in your e-mail is even more minor.  But it is my hope that when the people of First Lutheran received my phone call or letter, or when you receive every Bungee Cord you experience what the Christian faith and church is really all about: that God loves you unconditionally and that he will stretch out his reach of grace and mercy (like a bungee cord) as far as you wander, holding on to you in the palm of his hand, rejoicing when you are carried back to rest near to his heart.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (GGAP)
Pastor Jerry Nuernberger



No comments:

Post a Comment