Monday, January 19, 2015

Bungee Cord 1-19-15

Hello,
Just when I thought that I had seen it all, last week I saw something on TV that broke that assumption apart.
Tractor Square Dancing.
Yes, Tractor Square Dancing.  There is a thing here in Pennsylvania that is sort of an indoor winter state fair….cattle judging, pig shows, chickens and sheep….tractor pulls, implement displays…and something that I have never seen at a fair…tractor square dancing.
It is just what it sounds like.  Eight antique tractors with grey haired and no haired drivers following the directions of a caller….a la mande left, dos a dos, promenade right, circle up, and swing your partner.  By the precision of the “dancers” you could tell that this was something that these folks had often practiced…which led me to wonder: who would have ever thought this up?  I am trying to imagine a bunch of retired farmers gathered around the table of the local cafĂ© where they meet every day at 7:00, when in between the gaps of silence that make city-folks uncomfortable one of the guys says, “Ever thought about doing square dances with our tractors?”
The pregnant pause that surely must have followed would have left most of us to conclude that there wasn’t much support for the idea, but if you have ever sat at one of these tables, you would not have been surprised to hear a coffee cup set on the table and out of the side of one of the guy’s mouth, “Sounds good to me.”  And so began Tractor Square Dancing…..maybe.
“What do you say we go to Jerusalem?” said Jesus to his disciples.  Jerusalem: the place where his face would have been posted amongst the “Most Wanted” in the post office, the place where those who enjoyed judging and condemning were doing all they could to silence Jesus’ words of forgiveness and mercy, the place where the appetite for his life was most ravaging, the mouth of the lion.  “What do you say that we go to Jerusalem?”
If there was a pregnant pause, it certainly would have been caused by the disbelief of the disciples at the hearing of Jesus’ words.  Having wandered around with him for the last several years and saying over and over again to themselves at the things that they saw him do (like eat with the town’s biggest slime bag –Zacchaeus) and say (like “pray for your enemies”),  “I thought we had seen it all,” one can only imagine the thickness of the silence that fell around that table.
But that is the wonder of what Christians call the Gospel, i.e. the good news of Jesus Christ.  Just when you might think that you’ve seen it all when it comes to the crazy things that God will do, we see the one who carries the name of the Son of God set his face toward torture, suffering and death.  And why?  The Bible tells us: love (John 3:16,17).
I found myself laughing at the square dancing tractors.  I find myself astounded by the Jerusalem bound Jesus.  Astounded that the Divine, the Wholly and Holy Other would so hold the likes of me, or the likes of anyone as a matter of fact, as the apple of his eye that that one would completely incarnate himself in humanity and then irreversibly and intentionally walk into the worst pain that humanity could conjure up.  It is hard to believe….and some find it impossible to believe.
But having seen the outrageous creativity of old farmers with old tractors, I find myself saying that maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised at the outlandish determination of the Creator to make all things new with me…and you.  So, when I see someone baptized and remember my Baptism, when I hear the words “your sins are entirely forgiven”, when I receive a piece of bread and a sip of wine containing the promise of the presence of Jesus body and blood, and when I hear that I have been enlisted to bring God’s hope into a hopeless world…well, I don’t find myself saying with unexpected surprise, “Just when I thought that I had seen everything.”  Instead, I find myself saying with the expectation of being surprised, ‘Thanks be to God.”
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment