Monday, July 6, 2015

Bungee Cord 7-6-15


Hello,
     My smart (?) phone tells me that over the last several months I have played 2310 games of Solitaire on it, and of that number I have won 192.  8% winning rate.
     Solitaire, as I have written before, is my game of choice to occupy my time when I am sitting around.  It suits me well as it requires limited brain usage and next to no dexterity.  By the number of games that I have played, you can see that fill my time often with Solitaire.  Some have been very short, not even been able to move one card.  Others have been tantalizingly long, just a couple of cards left to be played but no way to play them.  For a while, there, I was at a 9% winning percentage, but recently I have been on a losing streak and I’ve slipped back to 8%.
     I am convinced that with some games of Solitaire…if not most…the deal of the cards sets up an unwinnable game.  I suppose that there is some skill to playing Solitaire….remembering what cards are in the pile and placing them for optimal flexibility.  But by in large, the length of the game and the final outcome of the game lie in the cards.
     I Googled, “What is the average winning percentage in Solitaire?”  I couldn’t find any scientific study, but there were comments from people, and most of them professed an average well above mine….20%, 30%, all the way up to 90%...but as I read their comments further, it seems that all of them reached their average through what I would call “cheating”….using the “undo” button to attain their win.
     I often hear people talk about the American Dream, “If you are willing to work hard, you can be or have anything that you want.”  As I have worked as a pastor with scores and scores of people over the years, I find myself saying that the “American Dream” is appropriately titled.  It is a dream.  Like playing a game of Solitaire, some hard work and skill can be of help, but in the end victory’s reach ultimately lies in the cards and how they are dealt.  So much so that if 8% or 9% of Americans can say that they attained the American Dream, I would be surprised.
     To say that ultimately victory lies in the cards is no new insight, but it is an insight that leaves many frustrated, angry and cynical……often with God.
     I am not one who believes that God stacks the deck and deals out trouble to some and victory to others.  I don’t believe that God is the one who deals a genius child into one family and a severely challenged one into another.  I don’t believe that God sets one person up for alcoholism and sobriety for another.  I don’t believe that God is the one that deals a arduous life for one and a smooth sail for another.  I don’t believe that God deals a winning hand for some and a losing hand for another.
     Why do I not believe these things?  Because I have seen the cards God has dealt.  True, He has stacked the deck, but In Jesus he has stacked the deck in order that all people would have a winning hand.  The world might play favorites as it deals out cards, but not God.  “For God so loved the WORLD that he gave his only Son.” (John 3:16)…” 8But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)….”My grace is sufficient for you.” (2 Cor. 12:9)….”See what love the Father has given us that we should be called children of God.  And that is what we are.” (1 John 3:1)
     Over and over again in the Bible God admits that he’s a crooked dealer, always stacking the deck …..but stacking it so that every one would have an unbeatable hand, a winning hand, a hand that no matter how you play it it is a victorious hand…..a hand unlike the American Dream….is real, and not a dream.
Have a great week.
God’s grace and peace, (ggap)

Pastor Jerry Nuernberger

No comments:

Post a Comment